Decorating By static Updated 15 Oct 2013 , 9:13pm by jules5000

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by static

I gotta see that one when its done!
Yah the 9 in front of Mordor.
I bet there are great pics of that on google. I think Id paint it on fondand or an icing sheet, I wonder howmuch detail you can get with the FBCT method, I guess the basic portrait can be done then paint on the detail after? hmmm......

You can get incredible details if you paint it with chocolate! Print out a picture and place it under parchment paper tape it down and use melted candy melts and keep a blow dryer next to you to keep it warm.

Actually this link will give you better instructions on how to do it.

I love working with chocolates!!!

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:17pm
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Here is my Barracade transformer cake, from the move, it's a decepticon in police car form, with lilttle Wickwicky in the front, but I think only true Transformers fans like my family would recognize this. You can't see it on the picture but it say "to punish and enslave" on the car near the rear.

Excellent cake!! "to punish and enslave" always has DH (a cop) and I laughing! Great job

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #33 of 59

Static. I just did an Optimus Prime transformer cake last weekend using FBCT and you can get great detail with that technique. I did Optimus Prime on top, the transformers word logo on the front and then the Autobo and Decepticon logos on two sides. It was a hit with my friend's son.
LL
LL

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2djb

Quote:

My next attempt will be A bust of Star Scream, but the old school Star Scream wings and all icon_biggrin.gif

I think my husband would kiss your feet! icon_smile.gif Starscream is his all time fav.

Yup my HD fav too, he collects toys, and he has just about every version of these Transformers including Megatron and StarScream, US and Japanese version and has the complete set of the Master Pieces, and let not talk about Beast Wars which are my Fav, Optimus in Gorilla Form!!! The only one he is missing is Backarachnia.

We fight for Space in my house, his toys with my cake supplies icon_lol.gif !!! But sometimes his toys come in handy when replication one of them into cakes!!! icon_biggrin.gif so I can consider them to as cake supplies icon_lol.gif

static Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
static Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:27pm
post #35 of 59

thats so cool. is it hard to keep track of all the details that need to be done first since the image will be reversed? some of the Ring wraith pics are pretty detailed but Id like to try for my sisters b-day. and do a transformers one as well. he loves Bumble bee.

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:29pm
post #36 of 59

I think for fine details and with shadowing chocolate would be best, you can use any size paint brush with chocolate or candy melts. Though I have never worked with the BCT before so I can't really compare. But as a painter myself I do favor certain mediums over others, like I love oil paints and water colors over acrylics, and only like certain brands of oils. So I guess it really depends on how it handles and how it takes to fine detailing and most of all your preferences. icon_smile.gif

Diesel Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #37 of 59

for me, whenever I do a FBCT I always try to have a colored copy of the picture right in front of me to help me with the details. For the most part I take my outline color and trace over all the lines, then go back and fill in the color using my color copy for reference. I'm going a lion king one for my nephew this weekend. My husband really likes this techniques he says it's really cool icon_smile.gif

Diesel Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #38 of 59

Oh, the other thing I do is when I have my outline completed, I stick it in the freezer for about 10 mintues so that when I go to fill in my color it doesn't get all messed up. Sometimes I'll stick in the freezer multiple times if I have to mix up other colors. The Star Wars cake in my pics is the first FBCT I ever did and I actually took 2 separate pictures and combined them into one before printing off. I do recommed you look at the tutorial as it is really helpful.

static Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:36pm
post #39 of 59

I am downloading pics to try as we speak. this is so cool. I am an Illustraitor and i love the idea of doing an edible painting. I think Ill try some simple pics to start so I can see how it all handles. Can I paint on those icing sheets too? or are they too soft? I 've never bought any.

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:38pm
post #40 of 59

Thanks cinjam!

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #41 of 59

I have one in my photos too. blue with a metallic red autobot on it.

static Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #42 of 59

the letering on that transformers cake is realy good, its so perfect.

static Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #43 of 59

My nephew would flip for that Baracade car!

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #44 of 59

Static, try both of the method and see which way you like best. I really like the fact the I can store my chocolate pictures at room temperature once it's sets, and it set hard like like a regular bar of chocolate so you can have it there for a while till you use it on a cake or something. I need to try the FBCT and see if I like it to. I don't work much with buttercream, i just use it for filling and crumb coat.

static Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:37pm
post #45 of 59

thanks I will have to practice with the chocolat a lot first. how can I coloe the white chocolate though? do es the regular coloring work?

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #46 of 59

At Michaels they sell candy melts already colored and the candy color oils for the white candy melts, so you can mix what every colors you want, youcan also mix the pre-colored candy melts. Don't use regular color gels or liquids it will ruin the candy melts or chocolates and cease it ( make it hard again) then you will have to through it way.

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #47 of 59
Quote:

thanks I will have to practice with the chocolat a lot first. how can I coloe the white chocolate though? do es the regular coloring work?

The Whimsical BakeHouse Cake Book is a great resource for working with chocolates and candy melts, I love this book, it brings out the painters in all of us! Chocolate paint!!!! need I say more.

static Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #48 of 59

lol it does sound wonderful. where can I buy the chocolate melts though/ In my grocery store its just the Bakers chocolate,. Can I use chocolate chips instead?

Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm
post #49 of 59

You can buy the chocolate melt from Michaels or any bakery supply shop, they are made especially for molds and painting transfers, and very easy to melt in the microwave. It will be a little more difficult to work with baking chocolate.

static Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #50 of 59

thanks for the advice I will pick some up this week and give it a go. Soon I will be uploading my first pics of chocolate portraits ,cool.

mommy2djb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2djb Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #51 of 59

Even Walmart sells candy melts. icon_smile.gif

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #52 of 59

I made one for my son's birthday, I just used buttercream to pipe the symbol on the front. I used a figure we bought for him to keep.
Lara
LL

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #53 of 59

I recently made a transformers "logo" cake... it's the autobot "head"... and it was so recent that my pictures aren't downloaded yet - but I'll try to explain: I baked a square cake & cut the bottom 2 corners to make the jaw line, and the top was cut a bit to get the right angles... it was gray with black underneath - if you perform a google search for "transformers logo", it should come up.

I did make a 3D mack truck recently & was really hoping to make Optimus Prime... o well =)

Edit: Hey! My logo cake looked like the red logo on the blue cake above this post... it was just flat like a sheet cake!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:31am
post #54 of 59

Brendansmum, that cake is A..W..E..S..O..M..E!!! Now I know what I will do for my cousins grandson. He'll just flip. Every year he tells me about March or April what design he wants for his cake. His birthday is in July. I've been waiting to see what you all would come up with. Soooo hard to choose.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm
post #55 of 59
Quote:

Quote:

I gotta see that one when its done!
Yah the 9 in front of Mordor.
I bet there are great pics of that on google. I think Id paint it on fondand or an icing sheet, I wonder howmuch detail you can get with the FBCT method, I guess the basic portrait can be done then paint on the detail after? hmmm......

You can get incredible details if you paint it with chocolate! Print out a picture and place it under parchment paper tape it down and use melted candy melts and keep a blow dryer next to you to keep it warm.

Actually this link will give you better instructions on how to do it.

I love working with chocolates!!!

I love doing chocolate transfers too. I love that portrait/painting tutorial. I have never seen it. I have a cupcake cake with a chocolate transfer of old school BumbleBee that I did for my son. Here is the tutorial that I used to get started with chocolate transfers.

http://us.1.p4.geocities.com/heathers_cakes2000/chocolatedemo.html?1109787013625

I have done a FBCT but since I did the chocolate one, I love it more! I've even used CT to do the writing on my cakes. I like picking out fonts for them.

Here's my BumbleBee CCC. It was a hit with the kindergarteners! thumbs_up.gif http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1178672

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #56 of 59

I am going to have to try this techniques. Very Cool ccake. Thanks for sharing.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 9:56pm
post #57 of 59

I have a printer so I did Optimus on a frosting sheet and put it on the cake for my granddaughter's birthday.

LCAddicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LCAddicks Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 5:28pm
post #58 of 59

AWhere can I get the stars on the Bumblebee Transformer cake

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 9:13pm
post #59 of 59

I have worked with Rice paper and like it, but you definitely do not want to be in a rush when doing the picture on the rice paper.   I have not noticed any taste from it.   I have used the color gel and a paint brush to color in the areas and you have to make sure that you get it real thin and not very wet.  It will cause the paper to warp and you also need a lot of time for it to dry, but I like the look as it seems to be kind of like stained glass or I guess another way to put it is the colors are more true.  You can also use the food markers, but they really do not save you from getting it too wet either.  Good luck with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%