Cupcake + Transportation = Freshness?????

Decorating By lakaty Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm by dessert1st

lakaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakaty Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #1 of 17

I know you guys will have great answers for me......

I have a bride who would like about 100 cupcakes(72 regular size and 24 minis) for her wedding. She has to travel about 5 hours to get to the town for the wedding.

What I'm wondering is, if I iced the cupcakes Thursday night then put them in the freezer. Friday morning the groom picks them up and travels the 5 hours to the wedding site. They may or may not be able to be refrigerated over Friday night, then they are served Saturday evening at the reception. Will they stay fresh and moist????

Do you think this will work or do you have any ideas to make this work????

TIA icon_smile.gif

16 replies
73cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
73cupcake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #2 of 17

What kind of cupcake decoration are you doing? If it's just a simple swirl of buttercream (like tip 1M), then I would make the icing on Thursday night and ice them on Friday morning - it shouldn't take that long. As for freshness, what kind of containers are you putting them in? If they are in a tupperware type, then I think they'll stay fresh enough for Saturday. If you are putting them in those plastic muffin containers, can you put them in a ziploc bag afterwards?

With regard to them possibly not having a fridge available, is there anything in your icing or a filling that needs to be refridgerated?

I am doing my first wedding in September, cupcakes also, and understand your concerns. icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

lakaty Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 17

Yes, I'm just doing a simple 1M swirl of lemon buttercream. Depending on what time the groom is picking them up I probably could ice them Friday morning.

I had planned on putting all the cupcakes in an 'under-bed' storage container. Like a Rubbermaid container. I'd still probaby put plastic wrap across the top of the container before I put the lid on. I am going to place the cupcakes in 'cupcake inserts' inside the storage box, so that way they shouldn't move around during transportation.

I just hate the thought that the icing will get smushed and the bride will be disappointed on her wedding day.

Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 17

They don't necessarily have to be refrigerated then. I find that refrigeration can dry them out.

I'd do the icing on Friday if you have the time.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 17

I would be careful of putting them in anything that is too air tight. I usually put cupcakes in the clear plastic clamshell type containers and that works fine - even in the fridge overnight.

I recently did some mini-cupcakes in the type of disposable lasagna type trays that you can crimp the edges over the clear lid and I think it kept TOO much moisture in because all the cupcake papers started to separate away from the cupcakes. Just a word of caution......

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 17

It sounds like you've got time between now and when you need to deliver. Bake and test.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 17

Totally off topic here, but which guests will be blessed with a full cupcake, and which ones will only get a mini ? Why do brides do this??

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 17

The mini's might be for kids?

I've had the same thing happen in regards to the wrappers coming off at the sides. Why not get a sheet cake box and put them in box. They should be fine if you box them after you put the icing on Fri morning. Your cost on that is going to be much less then having to buy the under the bed boxes those suckers are expensive.

patrincia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 17

Yes, the minis are probably for the kids, but then you run into the problem of what age the cut-off is. Substituting a few minis for full size cupcakes doesn't save that much money. Oh well - just an observation.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 17

Huh.

In my world the minis go to the guests who ask for "just a bite."

Ironbaker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 17

That's what I was thinking - maybe it's for those guests who always ask for "a small slice" of cake.

patrincia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 17

Oh I see. I haven't been up against this request yet, so I really didn't know.

lakaty Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #13 of 17

You got it - the mini's are for kids. She's the one who has to tell the people who gets a regular size and who gets a mini. I'm pretty sure the kids could polish of a full cupcake better than some adults icon_lol.gif

I thought of using cake boxes but I'm afraid that the cupcakes will move around a bit or 'smush' the icing of the one next to it. I've never had to transport them before so I'm just guessing what will work best.

I figure I'll use the underbed storage box again. If not for cake then clothes.

Hmmm, I'll have to think on this!

Ironbaker Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:16am
post #14 of 17

You can definitely use cake boxes, I usually do. I buy cupcake cavity trays to lay inside the boxes. I can fit two (holds a dozen each) in a half sheet box.

Here is a site that also sells boxes and inserts, free shipping:

http://www.brpboxshop.com/

These are the inserts I use:

I get them at a local cake store.

Good luck!

lakaty Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:37am
post #15 of 17

Ironbaker - I love those cupcake cavity tray!!! I have been to that site but what I wanted to buy(their cardboard cupcake inserts) was around $20 but because I needed it shipped to Canada I was going to have to pay around $30 for shipping, taxes, and duty. Sorry but it's not worth it anymore icon_sad.gif

I may have to search to see where in Canada I could get cupcake inserts. The trouble is that shipping is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive right now.

I'm on a quest to find reasonably priced cupcake liners!! icon_wink.gif

Thanks

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:06am
post #16 of 17

I use the inserts also and never have a problem with them, If you can find them I would definately get them...

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 17

My tip doesn't address your question about freshness, but you still may find it helpful. I recently made 150+ mini cupcakes for a pot luck lunch. I packed the cupcakes in the conatiners on Thursday night, THEN I swirl tip decorated them Friday morning before leaving for work. Didn't take any time at all.

Worked out great too - no smooshed icing from handling them to pack into the container. If you use a sheet cake box that she can unhook the sides to unpack, they won't get damagerd then either. This will work with or without the seperator. (Since yours are for a wedding, I'd probably still use one if you can.)

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%