Cake Plateaus

Decorating By charman Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm by MissRobin

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 14

I have a request from a bride to do a wedding cake with a 14 inch base cake...wants a silver cake plateaus...I have found a pretty one that is 14 inch in diameter...that won't work will it? Do you need a base bigger than the cake...say for 14 inch a base that is 16 inch? Hope this question makes sense.

Anyone know a good place to buy them without costing an arm and a leg?
Thanks!
C

13 replies
amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 14

check ebay for plateaus

beachcomber2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcomber2 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 14
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 14

Yes, for a 14" base cake, your plateau should be 16"-18".

I was lucky enough to have a fellow-decorator in the next town lend me one! thumbs_up.gif

good luck!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 14

I wish I could find one real cheap.
I would love to use one of those on my son's wedding cake.. I don't want to buy one, because what would you ever do with it when you were done?
I don't do cakes for anyone else.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 14

Here's a link to a cheap I've had my on. It 15" on the top and 19" on bottom. I think it would be a tight fit, but it might work w/a 14" round. Check it out:
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/castroraweca.html

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 14

I make the brides rent one from a rental company and drop it off at the reception venue. Cake plateaus not just not my job.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 14

Just FYI I jsut got 2 I ordered from save on crafts and the rectangle one is HORRIBLE...bent, warped, does not sit right, and the seems are terrible! Plus now I see they do not refund to or from shipping. They were cheap, but that is exactly what I got!

Julia

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #9 of 14

acookieobsession. so sorry that you got burnt, but glad to know that it was too good to be true. I paid alot more but I did get quality plateaus.

I love plateaus, I have a thing for them, I just wish I could afford to have a bunch of cool ones. Saw some incredible designs on an Australian site, but they don't ship to the US. icon_sad.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:10am
post #10 of 14

so cake queen where did you get yours? I am obviously on the hunt for quality ones.....

I see you are in GA...did you get it at cake art? I saw they had some when i was there last...

Julia

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #11 of 14

Man! I don't want to deal with those... ask them to rent it. You have to be sure you have it on the correct weekend, deliver it, make sure it is returned on time for the next wedding, store it, polish it, etc. Not what I want to spend my time on.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #12 of 14

I get mine from Jack at this website. He is so helpful on all of his products.

http://www.weddingcakestands.com/

JMO, but I would rather rent them to people only because I HATE HATE HATE when I ask the bride if she wants gold or silver foil, she says gold, I deliver the cake and not only is the plateau SILVER, but it is too small ROUND under a square gold foiled cake! It just makes my cake look bad...I guess I am kind of anal about that.

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:01pm
post #13 of 14

This is where I got mine from - www.galasource.com. Make sure you get a hefty security deposit. I also wrote in sharpie on the underside "property of ...... and the phone number". Good luck!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 14

I also got mine at www.weddingcakestands.com and was very pleased with his service!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%