New To Imbc

Decorating By saberger Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 2:16pm by FromScratch

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone!

I have just discovered IMBC and I really like it. Very yummy - silky smooth texture...I was dreaming about it all night. I would like to continue to use it and try the SMBC again (I threw it out after it looked curdled only to discover hat it as to look that way before it gets creamy again?!?).

Anyway, I do have some questions and was wondering if you could help me out. I used the recipe/direction from Whimsical Bakehouse, but in my research, I found that other recipes call for some sugar to be added to the egg whites. And I saw some with cream of tartar too.

1) Why and which one is right?
2) Do I/Can I use it under fondant?
3) Can I use the Melvira Method on it or another 'trick' for making it smooth?
4) It seemed like it got a bit silky/soupy after it sat out on the cake - granted it was VERY humid today though.
5) Can leftover icing or the decorated cake sit out or does it have to be in the fridge?
6) Any tips for working with it? Decorating with it?
7) I understand that I can flavor it - with anything? purees, oils, extracts? How much?
icon_cool.gif Can this be used on cupcakes?
9) Sort of off the topic, but does anybody use the 7 minute icing on cakes (saw it on the Martha Stewart Show on cupcakes) and/or for decorations?
10) How do fondant & these meringue based BC's work together?

I appreciate all and any help. I need to do a big castle cake next week and would like to use it somehow.

TIA

5 replies
saberger Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 6

I can answer a few before I head out on a delivery..

Yes you can use it under fondant.. I use SMBC all the time under fondant and it works great. You have to chill the cake before you cover it with fondant as IMBC/SMBC doesn't crust and will smoosh all over the place if soft.

Yes you can use it on cupcakes

7-Minute icing is yummy but you can't decorate with it like BC.. it's too sticky.

YOu can flavor IMBC/SMBC with just about anything.. extracts are easy, but you can add pruit purees and chocolate.. just about anything. I usually do it to taste, but it can handle quite a bit added to it depending on the texture of the additive.

Left over icing can sit out for a day, but you should put it in the fridge and let it get to room temp before you whip it up again.. if it separates.. just warm it up a bit and it will come back together.

IMBC/SMBC gets soft in the heat, but I have never had it slide off of a cake.

You cannot use the tricks to smooth it because it doesn't crust, but it is very easy to smooth with a warm spatula.

They are interchangable and taste and act the same. Some say that IMBC is more stable, but I think they are pretty much the same.. it just depends on your preference in preparation..

icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 6

this is a very good question! I have been afraid to use anything but buttercream on wedding cakes, because they have to sit out for hours, and most weddings are on humid days. Do you use these icings for weddings? Do you use real egg whites or powder? I think it does taste better, and I like how smooth it is, (I think its less work as you can smooth it out and don't have to go back a bunch of times to get it smooth like with a roller or viva, etc) I Just don't have the room to refrigerate a bunch of cakes!

saberger Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info jkalman. And loriemoms - I am with you on not having the fridge space.

I read that you shouldn't use meringue powder instead of real eggs - is that correct? Not sure.

Also, I think I can just get egg whites from the store rather than cracking open and separating all of the eggs necessary for the icing? I cannot tell you how many egg yolks I had in the fridge! What do I do with all of them?!?!?!

Sorry if I misunderstood, but the cake has to be refrigerated after decorating, right? What about if I cover it with fondant? I have a big order for Sunday (castle cake) and not much space in the fridge, so I am trying to decide if I should just use plain BC and leave it out or use IMBC.

I would like to try the SMBC again either today or tomorrow.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 6

You can leave it out for a while. I have had a cake with SMBC out for a few days with no problems so long as your other fillings (if any) don't require refrigeration. If you have extra store it in the fridge or freezer. You can use the eggwhites in the carton, but I have heard that sometimes they don't whip up so I don't use them. You can use the leftover yolks to make pastry cream and citrus curds.. that's what my yolks usually end up as. You can also make french buttercream which is made with egg yolks, sugar, butter and vanilla. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%