" Wedding Cake Fell Apart!!! I'm Sick!!!"

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 2 Apr 2017 , 11:47pm by Jeff_Arnett

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:22pm
post #61 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Not only did it NOT detract from it, I think it seriously added a little something!! That is a slammin' cake! Gorgeous work! I SO want to get the SPS system, but I wouldn't trust anyone to return it! I know everyone says 'deposit', but who wants to pay a $200 deposit?? But I am so tired of trying to get dowels the right height and trying to be sure the cake is secure and sturdy. Ugh. What a nightmare. Good save on your part though!

the sps ones aren't that expensive.....it's the sfs the stress free system that's so costly. These ones are sold by bakery craft I got them through oasis supply .com though and I order 2 plates in each size of 6,8.9,10,12,14 and 16" plates and got tons of legs for less than 70.00 I charge a 5.00 deposit and 5.00 rental fee on each plate....so only an additional 40.00 with 20.00 of it being returned on a 5 tiered cake (since you only need plates and pillars on 4 of the layers)
Some people just figure in the cost and don't get them returned but I don't want to have to order them all the time so I let people have the option, they have 7 days to return them, after that I order more and they keep theirs. It costs me about 5 dollars for each plate with the pillars on average so I double that if they don't return them no sweat off my back.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #62 of 66

Hey, that's not bad!! I'll have to go check that out as a via option!! Thanks for that info!!

mydor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydor Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:27am
post #63 of 66

icon_redface.gif I sorry that disaster happened to you. The cake was beautiful. I have just spend 45 minutes finding this message because I want to ask you if you had a mat for that design or did you do it "free hand". I would love to copy that pattern but I like having some type of guide or press. Could you tell me how you did that beautiful design?

hopefulcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopefulcakelady Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 4:47pm
post #64 of 66

Sorry to reply to this zombie thread...but isn't it still possible to eat the cake even though it fell apart? I'm sure it still tastes good.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 7:44pm
post #65 of 66

Very pretty original cake, and nice save.  You gotta do what you gotta do.  

I swear by SPS.  Always ordered directly from Bakery crafts.  You can deliver as many tiers fully stacked as you can lift.  For me that was generally 2.  It's cheap, sturdy and easy.  Better still if you're placing tiers at the venue, you can slide them into place - you don't have to drop them and hope they are centered.  The peg makes sure the next tier is centered.  Just don't forget to make the hole in the cardboard!  I always sold it by saying, "The support system is $30 (or whatever.)  Without it your cake will fall over. "  "Oh yes, we want that!!"  Every time. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Apr 2017 , 11:47pm
post #66 of 66

I noticed you said "Wilton dowels"!  I stay away from them...they're made from bamboo and I've not found a straight one yet!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%