Polymer Clay - Food Safe?

Decorating By vonnie99 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm by TexasSugar

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 5

Hi -
I am in the process of making some figurines out of polymer clay (FIMO, Sculpy...)is it safe to use these as toppers on a cake the way you would with fondant?
I'm making them out of clay instead of fondant so that the recipient can kepp the figures and so that I don't run into the problem of the fondant not drying...

4 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 5

I do not htink that polymer clay is food safe.

Can you make the figures out of gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mix so that they dry hard and completely and can be preserved?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 5

We have had this discussion several times in the past. I would guess the threads are still in the archives, if you wish to research it further.

But to answer your question, no, polymer clay is not food-safe. But you can attach it to a topper stand (like the plastic ones Wilton sells), and use it on the cake. Then only the topper stand will be touching the cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into the topper sand...or maybe I'll make a little "stage" for them with a cake board - I'm making the Jonas Brothers...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 5

If you put a base, even cardboard, under them they should be fine. I just would not put them directly on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%