No More Dh Cake Mix For Me...

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm by Solecito

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #31 of 52

I am a true believer in Pillsbury Cake Mix. I have used DH and was not thrilled, I have also used BC and was not thrilled either. My Pillsbury comes out totally moist and light.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #32 of 52

I only use DH with the extender with sugar, flour, 4 eggs, sour cream, and oil. I find it to be firm but moist. But I agree, without the extender, I do not like DH.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #33 of 52

I only use Pillsbury. I sift the mix into my mixer bowl at the start. I absolutely love that cake mix and at Super Wal-mart, they are 88 cents.

I have a question about the extender recipes everyone is talking about. I have never used one Why do you use one....is it so that you only need to make one mix instead of two when you would need two mixes? OR is it to firm up the cake???

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #34 of 52

I use it to make a little more batter so that it fills the pan, but mainly so that it firms up the batter. I couldn't see stacking those fluffy cakes otherwise.

Pat317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pat317 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #35 of 52

Thank you all for sharing your experienced advice. I just assumed from scratch was best. You saved me a lot of disappointing experiments. JanH- thanks for the info about animal testing. You were all very helpful.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

I use only DH, I have used the others as well but always return to DH.

Cake is alot like icing, the weather plays a great part in your consistency and moistness.

If you live in a dry area your cake may turn out dry. If you live in an area that is humid your cake may turn out wet and mushy, you may find yourself overbaking it because it won't register as done on a tooth pick.

I suggest choosing your favorite cake mix and then try several of the Ideas that you have read on here. I have and they do work.

Thanks everyone Keep up the great tips and ideas.

I think that's very likely. I was surprised to see this topic because DH has always been consistently the best of the box mixes I've worked with. I've never had a DH cake crack or break on me. Pillsbury is pretty consistent too, but it's cracked and broken on me before. I use Pills mixes mainly for cupcakes or single layer cakes, and DH if I'm going to torte and stack.

The only box I won't use (unless I'm asked to specifically) is BC because every time I've used it it's had some odd chemical aftertaste to it. But my mom LOVES BC cakes, so I just wonder if it's something in the mix that I'm sensetive to. icon_confused.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #37 of 52

I used to use DH, but recently have had problems with it sinking in the middle. I switched to Bc and have been very happy with it. All three all cost the same here - $2.59 if not on sale. When they go to 1/2 price, i stock up!! Strange, but the only Pillsbury on the shelf is Reduced Sugar.

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #38 of 52

I am a huge box cake fan also and I LOVE Betty Crocker... However I have modified the instructions so that my cake raises higher and is super moist (even after a week) and is extremely strong enough to stack with no ripping or tearing..

if your interested I can share the recipe..
(I've decided it doesn't need to be a secret anymore, I think the recipe is out there somewhere..) icon_razz.gif

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #39 of 52

We'd love for you to share. icon_smile.gif

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #40 of 52

I couldn't be more please with pillsbury. I have tried the others and DH fell apart, and I just didn't like BC.

TantalizingTreats Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #41 of 52

Sure Blue....

I use Betty Crocker, but i am sure it will work with any box cake..

I always sift my cake mix into the bowl to remove the chunks and hard pieces. Completely disregard what the boxes directions and ingredients needed. (the milk and oil is too heavy)

Instead you'll need:
4 eggs
1 cup water
1 envelope powdered Kraft dream whip

Once you've sifted your mix add the powdered dream whip, eggs and water. Beat for 3-4 minutes. you can bake your cake according to package. But I usually bake 25 degrees lower and 5-10 minutes longer, always checking your cake after 5 mins. And also depends whether you are using a shiny metal or a dark metal pan... always adjust your temperature accordng to the pan too.

I get so many compliments on how moist my cake is, so I hope you enjoy.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:03am
post #42 of 52

I'm a scratch and box maker. If I do a box cake though I always doctor it so I've never had too much of an issue. I prefer to use DH brand. I get more batter than with any other brand.
I know that one brand that works great for one person may not for another. It's the same theory as if you gave 6 people the same recipe for a cake and have them bake it. At the end of the day you'd have 6 different cakes. Everyone's style of baking or adding different ingredients is different. What works for one, won't sometimes for another.

TantalizingTreats Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I'm a scratch and box maker. If I do a box cake though I always doctor it so I've never had too much of an issue. I prefer to use DH brand. I get more batter than with any other brand.
I know that one brand that works great for one person may not for another. It's the same theory as if you gave 6 people the same recipe for a cake and have them bake it. At the end of the day you'd have 6 different cakes. Everyone's style of baking or adding different ingredients is different. What works for one, won't sometimes for another.

So True!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

All three all cost the same here - $2.59 if not on sale.

icon_surprised.gif Are you kidding me? My walmart sells BC and Pillsbury for $0.93. DH is $0.89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalizingTreats

I always sift my cake mix into the bowl to remove the chunks and hard pieces. Completely disregard what the boxes directions and ingredients needed. (the milk and oil is too heavy)

Instead you'll need:
4 eggs
1 cup water

OMG, you wont' believe this, but I started doing it this way this past weekend on the 3 wedding cakes I had! icon_surprised.gif (I never used milk before, though). Anyway ... I was very impressed with the height AND the texture of the cakes. Coincidentally, I had a wedding the 7th and the 13th at the same venue.....same bartender for both nephew's weddings..... he went to school with hubby. After having a piece of cake on the 13th, he said it was even better than last week's cake, which he thought was super moist and delicious anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

So since I also use Dream Whip in my icing, I'll be buying this stuff by the case now!!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #45 of 52

I use to only use DH cake mix. I would add 1 cup oil, 1 cup water, 4 eggs, and a pudding mix. The cake was very sturdy and very moist!

Then I went on a few year hiatus making cakes. Went back to it and the first few cakes I made sank in the middle. Never had that problem ever before.

Came here and read others were having issues with DH, because DH changed their mix recipe.

So I went to Betty Crocker even though I don't like it as much.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #46 of 52

Try this, it's great.
1 DH cake mix
4 (L) eggs except for white then use 5 (L) Egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 cup self rising flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup water
1 teas. vanilla
1/3 cup oil
Mix and bake as directed on package.

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #47 of 52

I have used DH ever since I started baking with no problem with any except their chocolate is a little too crummy but I usually freeze it first andi t works out .

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:12am
post #48 of 52

Great thread, so many variations to try!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 4:12am
post #49 of 52

Pillsbury Devils Food cake is my favorite thing in the whole world......makes a mean doctored chocolate cake and the MOST awesome chocolate cookies I have ever tasted! The other flavor that is totally addicting is BC French Vanilla........just the other day, I didn't have enough Pillsbury so I used half Dr'd Pillsbury and half regular DH, made individually and then mixed and it was insane...sooooo good!!

On the flip side, my scratch chocolate cake made with buttermilk and dutch processed cocoa is the most crumby mess I have ever laid eyes on....I swore it off for good.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

All three all cost the same here - $2.59 if not on sale.

icon_surprised.gif Are you kidding me? My walmart sells BC and Pillsbury for $0.93. DH is $0.89.

Unfortunately, I am not kidding. icon_sad.gif I'm 50 miles from the nearest Walmart, but that's the price at the local chain grocery stores. I swear we get fleeced here - the cheap grade of gasoline was 4.73 last week when I filled up. So it seems that BC goes on sale about every six weeks -more often than DH so that's what i've been buying.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalizingTreats

Sure Blue....

I use Betty Crocker, but i am sure it will work with any box cake..

Instead you'll need:
4 eggs
1 cup water

Once you've sifted your mix add the powdered dream whip, eggs and water. Beat for 3-4 minutes. you can bake your cake according to package. But I usually bake 25 degrees lower and 5-10 minutes longer, always checking your cake after 5 mins. And also depends whether you are using a shiny metal or a dark metal pan... always adjust your temperature accordng to the pan too.

I get so many compliments on how moist my cake is, so I hope you enjoy.

Thank you so much..can hardly wait to try it!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #52 of 52

I'm DH all the way, I use only BC for the flavors I can't get from DH.

An earlier post said something about considering weather, so true, but you should also consider your altitude.
I'm in the desert and 3300 ft above sea level, BC mixes end up very dry and not enough batter for me, DH are just right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%