Buttercream Transfers, Help!!!!

Decorating By joylisa08 Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 4:29am by billymj52

joylisa08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joylisa08 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 12

I'm new to the cake thing and I am doing my first buttercream transfer next weekend. I guess my question is that once I put the transfer on the cake can it be put in the frig til the next day or would it be best left out at room temp. Thank you!!!

joy

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 12

I dont' refrigerate my cakes anyway, so room temp is how ALL of my cakes are handled.

joylisa08 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #3 of 12

Thanks for the input.

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #4 of 12

I always refrig my cakes (buttercream) but it depends on soo many factors. I would HIGHLY recommend you do a trial run with the FBCT. I did a baby shower cake order last year. 3 cakes with a pic on each that the planner drew. They came out awesome. I finished them a few hours before pickup, put them in the fridge, when they came to pick them up, I opened the box and the black lines between the colors had bled and feathered. I was horrified. I sat there with a toothpick and scraped the worst parts off. I think it was from the condensation of going in and out of the fridge.... if I were you I'd experiment with them.

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #5 of 12

Yes, it will be fine in the fridge!!! I always refridgerate my cakes 1st before I put on the BC trasfer. I think it makes getting the trasfer on easier

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #6 of 12

Joy, I did my first FBCT at the beginning of the month (it was the Thomas cake in my pics). The cake had a strawberry jam filling that I was too scared to let sit at room temp for 24 hours prior to my ds's birthday party so I did refrigerate it and it turned out just fine. I used the black Wilton tubed icing that I could attach my tip and cuppler to and it worked great for the outlining, then I used the bc recipe with the FBCT directions to do the rest of the color on the transfer. Nothing ran or bled for me.

Have fun next weekend doing the transfer! I had a blast doing my first.

Shanna

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #7 of 12

I never put cakes in the fridge.

Something I have learned about the FBCTs that really help with the bleeding is after it has crusted to lay a paper towel (viva) and rub over it, like you would smoothing the cake. It picks up the excess color from the top of the icing. When you pull the paper towel away you will more than likely see your fbct design on it.

joylisa08 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:47am
post #8 of 12

Thank all of you for your advice and input. I guess I will cross my fingers and hope for the best. icon_biggrin.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:33am
post #9 of 12

I put my Little Mermaid cake with the FBCT on it into the fridge as it had a whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling (and it was about 100 degrees here that day!). I had no problems with it. I did dab off any condensation with a paper towel as the transfer started to sweat in the heat about 5 seconds after I put it on the cake!

billymj52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billymj52 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:34am
post #10 of 12

I just did a Tinkerbell transfer. All the instructions I've read say it is okay to put in the freezer while working on it to hurry the crusting. Well I did this and my black coloring bled. Of course the outline color is black. I would like to do another one but not if this is going to happen again. What am I doing wrong? It is in the freezer now as I don't need it for a few days. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in a plastic bag inside a box. I still plan on using it even though it bled. I don't know if I'll have time to do another before Monday. If anyone knows how to do these (and you guys do great with them) please HELP me. thanks

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymj52

I just did a Tinkerbell transfer. All the instructions I've read say it is okay to put in the freezer while working on it to hurry the crusting. Well I did this and my black coloring bled. Of course the outline color is black. I would like to do another one but not if this is going to happen again. What am I doing wrong? It is in the freezer now as I don't need it for a few days. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in a plastic bag inside a box. I still plan on using it even though it bled. I don't know if I'll have time to do another before Monday. If anyone knows how to do these (and you guys do great with them) please HELP me. thanks

Did you tint your icing black or use bought pre-made black icing? Your black icing may have been too thin. I am not sure what else may have caused it to bleed other than that. I am also new to this so I am learning as well.

billymj52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billymj52 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:29am
post #12 of 12

I did not use a ready made. made it black myself using Wilton black color gel. I don't think it was too soft. I really had to press hard to get a good flow out of the tip #2. Thank you for replying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%