Please Help! Graduation Cake For Next Saturday

Decorating By 2sisters_mc Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm by 2sisters_mc

2sisters_mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sisters_mc Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone. I just received an order for a graduation cake for the son of a woman that I work with. She likes the stacked book idea with the fondant but I really have no idea how to even go about doing this. I have seen all of the wonderful pictures of this "book" cake idea that many of you have posted...Could you give me a few tips about how I can go about using fondant to get that book look. Thanks.

Also...If she does not go with that idea...I was thinking about a tiered cake but putting a boy in a graduation gown sitting on the side of the cake...I can figure out how to do the person, but as far as clothes go....again I'm clueless. How would I make a graduation gown and put it on the person that I made.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

9 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:57am
post #2 of 10

Sorry, no help with the books, but I'll give you a bump. I also suck at people. I'd do a graduation cap out of chocolate and maybe make the mascot out of chocolate transfer or FBCT.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 10

I don't do a lot of fondant work, but I just did a stacked book out of bc last weekend. It is the most recent pic in my gallery. I haven't ever done figures, but I think that a book cake with the figure sitting on one of the book "ledges" would be so cute.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230835

2sisters_mc Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions...I have to figure something out...I'm going to practice the person this weekend and see if I can figure it out.

If anyone else has suggestions...they would be welcomed.

2sisters_mc Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 10

Oh...sorry..by the way Jammjenks...your cake is adorable....how did you stack the cakes....not quite sure how to stack them like that....could you tell me how you did it?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 10

I just a did my first "book" cake and it was alot easier then I thought it would be.
I baked the cakes and cut them to size (the top book smaller then the bottom), torted ,filled and crumb coated and then put them in the fridge to chill.
When they were completly chilled I covered the 3 sides with white mmf, trimmed the edges and added "page" indentions, then I rubbed on some brown food coloring mixed with vodka and wiped off the excess.
I then put the cakes back in the fridge to chill again.
Once again when the cakes where chilled I took then out and covered the top and one side with mmf, trimming the edges to slightly over lap the "pages". I added some stitching on the spine and small strips of mmf on the bottom.
Then I stacked them and that was that.
Really easy.
Hope that helps, if you have any questions just ask.
Good Luck

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1228205

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 10

I used WASC which is quite sturdy to begin with. I just placed each cake on its own cardboard rectangle. I iced them separately, then used trimmed sucker sticks for support. Since they are not really THAT off center, I just placed my sticks (5 per book) the same as I would have if they were going to be centered. I left the sticks sticking up a little so that when I placed a cake on, I could just let it go and the weight of it would push the sticks on down. Make sense?

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 10

Have you ever sewn clothes before? You need to make a pattern and cut out your fondant to fit over your figure. If you have sewn you would have an idea of what the basic pieces would look like. I do not have the software to draw them out for you to reduce or enlarge for your needs otherwise I would try.

Mary

2sisters_mc Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you both for your suggestions....both of your cakes are great....I'm hoping that if I have to do this kind of cake that I'll be able to do it without too many problems....but the woman that I'm doing it for is still undecided about what she wants....Thanks to you both for your help

2sisters_mc Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Mary! I have sewn only once before, but my mother has so I can get a few suggestions from her....Thanks for your help about the clothes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%