Buying Good Tasting Fondant?

Decorating By Lishylou Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 12:01pm by moxey2000

Lishylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lishylou Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 10

I'm new at fondant, but LOVE working with it. Is there such thing as a good tasting fondant to buy? Or do you have to make it for it to taste good? HELP!

9 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 10

Most of them out there are good, almost anything BUT Wilton, IMO.

I'm using Satin Ice and have tried Chocopan, like them both.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 10

IMO chocopan is the best tasting. A little expensive but worth every penny. Global Sugar Art has it and Satin Ice on sale right now.

Teresa75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa75 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 10

I really like the chocolate pettinice. it looks and tastes like tootsie rolls. I also like the Satin Ice and Choco Pan. I am going to try Michelle Fosters Fondant recipe too. You can find that recipe on CC

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 10

I used Fondx last time and I LOVED it! It taste better and way easier to handle!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 10

I love Satin Ice and purchase it from www.IntoTheOven.com . I believe it's on sale right now (if you know the "secret code" if you are a forum member). icon_smile.gif

I've tried Michele Foster's recipe and it is delicious as well!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 10

I've used practically every pre-packaged fondant and made several from recipes - it always gets peeled off the cake and set aside on the plate (in my experience only the children seem to like it). I like the look of fondant and working with it so I just make sure my cake and fillings are really good!

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

I've used practically every pre-packaged fondant and made several from recipes - it always gets peeled off the cake and set aside on the plate (in my experience only the children seem to like it). I like the look of fondant and working with it so I just make sure my cake and fillings are really good!

You know, everyone has always told me how much they HATE fondant as far as taste. I made some cakes this past weekend with MMF and one of the girls who was so adamant about hating fondant told me it was the first time she really liked it with the cake. I haven't tried any of the other pre-made fondants (except for Wilton, blech!) so I don't have any way to compare.

Dana

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:43am
post #9 of 10

I have made and served MMF, and people seem to like that.
I used Satin Ice and it was good.
since I just moved to Indy, the store here carries Choco-Pan, and I think that it tastes great. (but I'm still getting used to handling it.)

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:01pm
post #10 of 10

In my humble opinion Choco-Pan is the very *Best* tasting fondant on the market, hands down. All the others have a chemical taste that reminds me of play-doh - some more than others. Choco-Pan is worth the price if you can get it locally, otherwise the shipping makes it very expensive.

I can't get Choco-Pan so I've started making MMF and I really love it. It always challenging for me, in my location, to get the supplies I need and I often have to be very creative. It's easier to get someone to bring me a bag of marshmallows than a tub of fondant! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%