Smbc Questions.. Can You Help?

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 11:18am by CakeWhizz

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:40am
post #1 of 12

Ok... If I need to cover a cake with this tomorrow for a cake that won't be eaten till Friday but will be covered in fondant can I leave the cake out on the counter?

Before covering with fondant (over the SMBC) should I fridge the cake to get it hard?

Thanks a million icon_smile.gif

Christi

11 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:59am
post #2 of 12

Hi Christi icon_smile.gif
I just made SMBC 2 days ago and it is super soft but sets really well in the fridge, I would smooth on and defo refridgerate before fondanting (!?) so you at least have a sturdy platform to put the fondant on, though it melts super quick!
I reckon you could leave the cake out after but I'm not 100% on that icon_confused.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:03am
post #3 of 12

yes you can leave it out till friday...it will be fine. make sure you pop it in the fridge before covering it with fondant otherwise it will be too squishy.

wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 12

So I ice and just set the whole cake in the fridge till the bc gets hard right? Then go ahead and have my fondant ready to cover the cake?

Do you all use cold butter for better results when making this? Or do you use softened butter?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

So I ice and just set the whole cake in the fridge till the bc gets hard right? Then go ahead and have my fondant ready to cover the cake?

Do you all use cold butter for better results when making this? Or do you use softened butter?

yes, that's correct.

i usually leave my butter out for a few hours before making the smbc so its at room temp.

wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 12

One more question while we are asking... has anyone ever used the eggs whites from a container? I just don't want to be left with a bunch of yolks.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

One more question while we are asking... has anyone ever used the eggs whites from a container? I just don't want to be left with a bunch of yolks.

You can but make sure you buy the ones for baking. Otherwise, they won't peak.

I believe the directions call for COLD BUTTER to add to it. My recipe says to cut the butter up at the beginning of the recipe and place in the fridge to stay cold. It helps the SMBC come together better.

Definitely want to put the cake in the fridge before putting the fondant on. Just be sure the cake warms to room temperature before eating so the SMBC doesn't taste like butter.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 12

I agree with aswartzw I always use cold butter it is seems to hold up better and I don't have to wait as long to be spreading consistancy.

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:56am
post #10 of 12

Cold butter? I was always taught that to use cold butter for IMBC but that it deflates the SMBC. I always make sure it's room temperature. Would anyone care to share a recipe for using cold butter? I'm curious about it. Thanks!

wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:06am
post #11 of 12

Well guys I made it and I LOVE it...

I was in shock that after preparing this wonderful icing.. THERE WASNT A SPECK of PS to clean up LOL. Needless to say I was like a puppy not knowing what to do LOL

Now if I could just raise my prices to use it all the time...

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:18am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Well guys I made it and I LOVE it...

I was in shock that after preparing this wonderful icing.. THERE WASNT A SPECK of PS to clean up LOL. Needless to say I was like a puppy not knowing what to do LOL

Now if I could just raise my prices to use it all the time...

I use the recipe provided by the lovely Dyannbakes below and it calls for cold butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%