They Want A Single Layer Full Sheet Cake...

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 1:09am by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I asked, do you want a double layer? NO. Do you want filling? NO. "We just want a full sheet cake like at the grocery story. Just cake and icing. I don't want to say plain, but something simple....maybe some roses and the words, "best wishes" written on it." Single layer is just a 2" cake, right?

Okay, how do you make a full sheet? I think it's two pans put together, but what size are those pans and how do you cover up the seam when you put the two cake side by side?

And, they want marbled. I've never done marbled. Do you just take your white batter and chocolate batter and pour at the same time making a marbled look? Can I use my scratch chocolate cake batter with the WASC to make the marble cake?

Next, how do you figure out how many people a 1 layer cake will feed? I normally make double layer. Is there a chart out there that shows the number of people a single layer cake will feed?

And, how do you figure out your pricing for a single layer cake? Do you still charge your normal serving price? Doesn't seem right to since I'm not using any filling.

Thanks again for all your help and tips!

8 replies
rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Okay, so I asked, do you want a double layer? NO. Do you want filling? NO. "We just want a full sheet cake like at the grocery story. Just cake and icing. I don't want to say plain, but something simple....maybe some roses and the words, "best wishes" written on it." Single layer is just a 2" cake, right?

Okay, how do you make a full sheet? I think it's two pans put together, but what size are those pans and how do you cover up the seam when you put the two cake side by side?

And, they want marbled. I've never done marbled. Do you just take your white batter and chocolate batter and pour at the same time making a marbled look? Can I use my scratch chocolate cake batter with the WASC to make the marble cake?

Next, how do you figure out how many people a 1 layer cake will feed? I normally make double layer. Is there a chart out there that shows the number of people a single layer cake will feed?

And, how do you figure out your pricing for a single layer cake? Do you still charge your normal serving price? Doesn't seem right to since I'm not using any filling.

When I do them:

1) it can be 2" - 3" single layer (it depends on if I'm doing a side design or not)

2) Yes, I use two 1/2 sheets side by side. I put buttercream down the middle, then lay the second cake up next to it. I smooth out the buttercream on the top and also the sides. I keep adding buttercream and smoothing until the seam is level with the rest of the cake.

3) I use my regular wasc or yellow recipe, leave back about 1/3 batter and add about 6 tbls cocoa powder (more or less, depending on how chocolately you want it), 1 tbls expresso powder and mix till blended. Then just plop spoonfuls on top of the yellow batter. Then take a knife and make swirls for the marbling, making sure some yellow gets on top, but not mixing too much as to loose the effect.

4) a single layer full sheet should feed at least 75-80.

5) I have different pricing for filled and unfilled cakes. Depending on how elaborate the decoration will be it's about 1/3 less than filled sheet cakes.

Here's a full marble I just did. It's two layers, but you do the seam the same way:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230608

HTH

-Rezzy

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 9

rezzycakes - I love that cake but purple is my color...how did you get writing to look metallic?

Also regarding inquiry on side by side cake, not sure what you are putting it on but if using cardboards, be sure to use many layers taped together so you do not split cake when lifting.

rezzygirl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

rezzycakes - I love that cake but purple is my color...how did you get writing to look metallic?

Also regarding inquiry on side by side cake, not sure what you are putting it on but if using cardboards, be sure to use many layers taped together so you do not split cake when lifting.

actually it was purple, but the photo makes it look blue icon_sad.gif . I use PME Lustre spray (my new favorite toy thumbs_up.gif ) on the writing and flowers. The photo doesn't really show the affect on the flowers though.

CandyLady Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 9

what is pme? where do you purchase it and thanks. pat

rezzygirl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 9

PME is the brand name. They make lots of cake deco stuff. Many places are starting to carry the spray including my store, Global sugar arts, Countrykitchensa.com, cakedeco.com (Pfeil & Holing).

CandyLady Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 9

thanks an I will check it out. Just got an order from Global.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 9

To determine number of servings on square or rectangle cakes, just do the math.

Standard serving size on single layer cake is 2x2". So a 12x18 would be cut in 6 columns by 9 rows = 54 servings.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the replies.

Debi - I did not know the standard size for single layer cakes. That is GREAT to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%