I'm Moving To South Bend, In. Do You Have Any Advice

Lounge By hallow3 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm by hallow3

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 7

Hi all my friends on CC. I just got a new job in South Bend, IN. and I am so nervous about moving there. Can anybody give me some advice, I hate snow and cold weather is it really that bad? What is some of the cultures? Any place around there to possibly find a house to rent in a good location? Areas to avoid? Are there any good cake supply stores other than Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joanns. I was up there a few weeks ago for a 1 day trip and only got to drive around a few places. Need all the help and friends I can find to make my transition easier. Thanks in advance.

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 7

I can't help with any of your questions, but just wanted to say welcome to Indiana! I visited South Bend on a biz trip forever ago and found it to be a beautiful city!! Visited the campus of Notre Dame, spent time on the river downtown, had dinner at the Studebaker Mansion, got to watch the hotel set up a glamorous wedding .... and got the autograph of one of the Harlem Globetrotters who were staying in the same hotel!!

I can tell you one famous saying about Indiana weather ... if you don't like it, hang around another 5 minutes and it'll change!! icon_biggrin.gif

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 7

"I can tell you one famous saying about Indiana weather ... if you don't like it, hang around another 5 minutes and it'll change" That's great & so true!!!

welcome to Indiana Hallow.
I don't know much about South Bend. I Believe there is some great Amish shopping up there....spent a weekend up there a few years back. some great pottery shops too.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 7

Welcome to Indiana!! Like most cities, try not to move to the south side. icon_wink.gif

The area around Notre Dame is nice, but housing is a bit pricey, I believe. Have you tried looking online for apartments? I'd start there.

My husband is from Warsaw, IN originally, and I'm from Gary, IN (yes, that same city as Michael Jackson and the song), so I'm somewhat familiar with South Bend. If you have specific questions, DH and I have friends living there now. icon_biggrin.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 7

I live about 45 minutes from South Bend. Like any city it has its good and bad points. To my knowledge it has a cake supply store on US 31 just west of the city. I've been there and gotten a few things. With the price of gas its still cheaper for me to order from CK which is in fort Wayne IN. My DH works in Mishawka which is the "sister" city to South Bend. Winters can be wicked but beautiful! Please feel free to PM me if you need any more assistance! Welcome to Indiana!!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 7

Welcome to Indiana! I have only been to South Bend a couple of times for Notre Dame games, so I am not much help. I live in New Haven right off of Fort Wayne. We have Country Kitchen here which is a great store and I would guess about two hours away from you.

Not far away from you are the Indiana Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan which are beautiful. My kids love climbing them and swimming. Also close by is Shipshewana which is an Amish community. They have a huge flea market on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They also have lots of quaint little craft, candy, antique, etc shops.

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everybody! I have been so busy with everything and can not wait to get there and try out a few places you all have mentioned. Talk to you soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%