Half Sheet Cake - Two Flavors - Question

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm by Malakin

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 11

Can I do a half vanilla and half chocolate half sheet cake? (side by side) Which pan would I use for 1/4 + 1/4? I have the Wilton square set (large, medium, small square pans). Would I use the the small pan two times for a half sheet? The problem with this is the small square pan seems small for even 1/4 sheet.

Thanks!

10 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 11

When I do two different flavors for a half sheet, I use my 9 x 13 pan for each. Then just push together and ice. icon_biggrin.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 11

If you don't have a 12x18 pan, then make 2 9x13 cakes and place side by side. 2 square cakes wouldn't make a half sheet cake.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 11

I just use my 11x15 (or you can use 12x1icon_cool.gif and just pour both mixes into the pan. You can put a strip of wax paper in the middle (takes some nifty taping technique, but can be done), but I just spoon a little in at a time, and they meet in the middle. Pretty simple.

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 11

What I have done is use the 12x18 and mix my first cake and put the pan at a slant and pour in the cake mix. That way the cake stays to one side. Then I mix my second cake and pour it in. You can put in a dam or have a marble effect in the middle. This method really works best with someone else to help to hold back the other cake, but I have done it myself, as I usually bake alone.
Mary

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 11

You do not need to slant the pan or anything. Just pour the 2 mixes in at the same time. They will not mix unless you mix them!

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 11

I make 1/2 and 1/2 cakes all the time -- they're one of the most requested as far as flavors go! I do mine like nutcase 68. I mix my first flavor (usually vanilla), and place my empty mix box under one end of my 12x18 pan and pour my batter to one side. Then I mix my chocolate batter and just before I pour it in the pan, I remove the box so the pan lays flat and pour in my chocolate batter. The two meet in the middle. I usually use a spatula or knife to kind of push the batter together in the middle and also to fill out the corners. It's really simple. Good luck!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 11

I bake a half sheet of each flavor, slice and fill each one into two layer quarter sheets, then place the two filled quarter sheets together. I always use buttercream as "glue" in between the two flavors so they don't separate. I've been doing it that way for 2 1/2 years and haven't had one cake separate yet!

Oh, this is assuming you make two layers. I always make two, but if you only make one I'd still use the buttercream in between the two flavors.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 11

ditto jenbenjr

I just pour them both at the same time they don't mix but end up in a straight line next to each other.

And if you want you can marble the middle section.

Really don't like making 2 cakes and putting them together, I always see the separation in the icing.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 11

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! I never thought of pouring the two at the same time. Now, how innovative is that? I do have a sheet cake pan so that is what I will do. THANKS everyone! You never fail me!!!!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 11

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but, one of my fellow cake club members the other day did a wonderful cake 12 x 18 with 3 different cake flavors. One was chocolate, the second was white chocolate chip and I believe the third was a type of butter brickle.
She told us that she cut out the square cake cardboard boards, slipped them in as dividers, poured in the seperate flavors, then gently pulled them out. There was very minimal marbleing in between the different sections. The cake was amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%