How To Deliver A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By abed Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm by leah_s

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 9

I have a 4 tier wedding cake to do next month, the problem is that the event is one hour away and it is a really windy road. Do I stack the cake and deliver or do I assemble the cake there one by one?

8 replies
waterlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterlily Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #2 of 9

I would like to know as well. I have a 3 tiered cake that stands on 4 12" rounds for next month.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:32am
post #3 of 9

I like to assemble on site. But that's just me. I can't physically carry a tiered cake. And I'm a big chicken. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to set up. Just in case something unforeseen happens. Some people do transport assembled. Just make sure you have at least one center dowel. and ample dowels between each layer. Sugarshack recommends two center dowels. One off center that goes in before you add the top tier. So, it would be slightly shorter than the next to the top tier. Or you could use the SPS (single plate system). I've heard a lot of people swear by that.

Good Luck! HTH!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #4 of 9

You could stack the bottom 2 tiers and the top 2 tiers separately so you essentially have 2 cakes and finish stacking when you get there.

Bellesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellesweets Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:53am
post #5 of 9

i am wondering myself if and when anyone has suggestions on how to transport a cake let me know as well i am travelling all the way from ny to atlanta in august but what i was thinking was to cover and decorate the cake down there i am going to bake the cake at my home and bring all of the necessary finishing products down there and construct the cake at my friends grandfathers house anywho tell me what should i do should i cover the cake up here with the fondant and wrap it in plastic wrap and when i get down there uncover it and put it together or the other way

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 9

If you cover the cake in fondant you won't need to cover it in plastic wrap. The wrap might leave marks on your fondant too. They will be fin in cake boxes. You'll want to make sure that they stay cool and out of direct sunlight for the ride.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 9

Use SPS to support your cake instead of dowels. Then you can transport as much as you can lift. Whether you're traveling with a cake 3 miles or 100 the only difference is time. If it will survive a short trip , it will survive a longer trip.

We travel with stacked, or partially stacked cakes all the time (every week) and drive normally.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 9

Leahs,

I have a question for you... I know that you are always singing the praises of the SPS. But it looks like the post are really big. Kind of like the Wilton hidden pillars. Does it eat up a lot of cake like the Wilton Pillars do?

Thanks! I'd really like to know before I buy.

~Mindy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 9

A few other people have asked that same question. I don't think that either the Wilton hidden pillars or the SPS legs take away much cake. Certainly no more than sticking in a bunch of dowels. Seriously, you really figure your servings so close, that you're worried about your support system taking away cake? I never even gave that 1 nanosecond of consideration.

What I do carefully consider is how stable the cake will be during transport, and for me, SPS is the most stable system, at the best price, on the market.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%