Do I Need A Cake Plate? Im Confused

Decorating By caramelchef Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 4:19am by caramelchef

caramelchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caramelchef Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:19am
post #1 of 5

hi i need some help on stacking cakes
im doing a two layer cake for my birthday and im using fondant what can i use to stack the cakes and i dont want to use pillars how do i do it?
Help?

4 replies
caramelchef Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:27am
post #2 of 5

Do i really need to use dowels? Is there anything else that can work?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #3 of 5

Do you mean two layers or two tiers? If you're doing two tiers and each is two layers, you should have a cake plate and some sort of supports in between, especially with the extra weight of the fondant.

When I do a stacked cake, I cut a circle of foam board to the size of the cake, and then wrap it in foil. The last cake I made had straws as supports and one thick central pillar (a wilton plastic dowel). I think I might have been better off with something more substantial...I nearly lost the cake going over a speed bump. Usually I will use the wilton plastic dowels cut to the right height for all of the supports, and they work very well. I used to use wooden dowels (cut them with pruning shears) and they worked well, but the plastic seems much cleaner.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

How many tiers will your cake be?
I use the Wilton plastic tubes and cut them to the same heighth of the cake. Put a bit of grated white chocolate underneath where the next tier will sit so the frosting doesn't stick to the board.
If I am traveling with the cake stacked, I double-dowel the entire cake, leaving about 2-3 inches sticking out of cake so I can remove it when I arrive. I use the 1/2" foamboard and sharpen the dowels so they will stick into the foamboard base.

caramelchef Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:19am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much im gonna get those wilton plastic dowels

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%