3D Teddy Cracked

Decorating By Babygirlx Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 1:12am by tracey1970

Babygirlx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygirlx Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 4:15am
post #1 of 5

I just baked a 3D teddy following the directions to the t and after letting cool for ten minuted lifted up top to let steam out and the cake was already cracked down the neck line. I read on here that someone got as far as already having it decorated and the head fell back. What did I do wrong? I used a pound cake recipe. Was that too heavy? I cant think of anything else.

4 replies
LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #2 of 5

I don't think it has anything to do with the weight of the pound cake. I've used cake mix (box) and had the same thing happen. I've also made them and they came out perfect. Maybe, cooling them an extra few minutes before removing the pans would help? Not long or otherwise they start to sweat and then they stick to the pan.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 5:06am
post #3 of 5

Buttercream will make a good glue for sealing up that crack, once the cake is cool. You might try putting a dowel into the cake if you're worried about the head falling off.

Babygirlx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygirlx Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 5

Well, I was thinking to seal it up with a little royal icing but I have to say since it did not split down the middle, (just the neck line) I was able to decorate it after worrying about it for an hour and it turned out just fine. The cake was heavy enough to hold the head up with no problems. The lady was very very pleased. It was a surprise gift but I still like to have things perfect.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #5 of 5

I've only baked this one once, and I found that when I took the back and front pans off, there was a noticable gap (maybe an inch or two wide by about one inch high) where there was no cake at all right around the throat area. It thankfully didn't affect the stability of the head, but I did think it was an odd place for a gap. I wondered if perhaps I should have given the thing a couple of taps on the counter right after putting in the batter to help it settle into all areas of the pan. I used a pound cake batter. When I make it again, I will give it a few taps and see what happens. Weird that all this is happening in the same general area of the bear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%