Need Help Asap...forgot To Thaw One Cake...need To Decorate

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 12:11am by Jenn123

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 7

I pulled out all my cakes today to thaw so I could decorate tonight for a wedding tomorrow. I just got home and realized I FORGOT one of my layers in the freezer. icon_mad.gif How do I quickly thaw out this cake. It is part of my top tier. I just pulled it out and put it on our table on our deck (it's 90 degrees outside). HELP!!! Is there something else I can do. I'm freaking out! I wanted to do all of it tonight....OMG! I'm such an idiot!

6 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 7

how big is the cake?

i wouldn't recommend putting it in the sun...i found that if you let the cake thaw too much, you may get a problem with crumbs

for me, thawing for one hour in the fridge is usually enough and there is nothing wrong with sandwiching / covering the cake semi-frozen...just place the completed cake close to a fan as this will help "blow off" the condensation.

any expert advice is appreciated

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #3 of 7

I have thawed mine on a wire rack over a burner that I turned on low for a few min & turned off & just made sure I rotated it so it didn't get too hot. I always keep mine wrapped until they are completely thawed then unwrap & let them sit for about 20 min before I ice. I've also set them under the lamps on my stove hood.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #4 of 7

Trixyinaz

How did the wedding cake turn out?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 12:30am
post #5 of 7

Too late, but wrapped in the microwave 20 seconds or so at a time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 7

with the site being down, I just found this thread so like KoryAK, my response is too late, but I'm sure you found that cakes thaw in minutes, not hours (like hamburger and chicken).

I take my cakes out of the freezer about an hour before I need to start working on them and while they are not completely thawed, they are thawed enough to work on them. For samplings, I keep 3x3x2" cakes in the freezer and I've been known to take them out of the freezer just a couple of hours before the appt. They have thawed, been iced and able to be served to the client at the appt.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #7 of 7

If I'm in a hurry, I microwave wet towels and lay over the wrapped layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%