Cake Coating

Decorating By bovaritter Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm by nancylynwallace

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 5

I noticed some folks coat their cakes before icing with a liquor/jam type coating. When do you do this? Do you do it on all cakes? Is it just to seal in moisture or for additional flavor?

Thanks!

4 replies
Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 5

Are you talking about crumb coating under the filling?
If my filling is particularly thin I will do it to keep the filling from soaking into the cake. But I don't do it all the time. It just depends on what mood I'm in that day. icon_wink.gif
Hope that helps!

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 5

I read in one of my cake books (I haven't had a chance to try it yet, my house is under construction . . . no cakes till it's done icon_cry.gif ) But, the book recommends a "sugar syrup" to be brushed onto the cake. It sounds like they use it instead of a crumb coat . . . ? You could probably add a flavor . . . . I'll be watching this topic, I'm curious too!! Sorry I'm not more help!

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 5

I guess it is the glaze...many folks do an apricot glaze or other fruit glaze sometimes with liqueor in it. That makes sense about the filling not seeping in. I just wondered if there were other benefits to doing this. I am doing a wedding cake with raspberry filling and I was not sure if I needed this step.

Thanks for your input!

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 5

It helps to keep crumbs out of the frosting too! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%