Wilton Cake Classes At Michael's

Decorating By Pumpkin2u Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 2:49am by Meloda

Pumpkin2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pumpkin2u Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #1 of 20

Has anyone here tried these? I am interested in going but want to know if it really helped anyone. icon_confused.gif

19 replies
rogers8702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rogers8702 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 20

i took course 1 @ michaels is was good just teaches basic and it really depends on the instructor how much you will get out of the class i started course 2 but couldnt complete due to a family emergency but if your interested its cheap so give it a shot if your new to decorating but if you have been doing it a while it most likely wont do much for ya

hope this helps

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 20

I took Course 1, 2 and 3 and enjoyed them all. The teacher definately makes the difference but I also think the others in the class can distract. Course 1 and 2 was great in respect to the others. We all came prepared and on time. Unfortunately I had to wait a little while to take course 3 and there were several who always came in at last moment and wasn't prepared which slowed the class down. I would recommend them especially if you need hands on and they aren't expensive. icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 20

I took class 1 and got a lot of helpful basic tips from my instructor. But that was before I found CC! I have to say I've learned SO much more here than I ever did from my Wilton class.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 20

I'm taking Course 3 right now and this will be my last one. You learn quite a bit in the classes, but the best part is learning the techniques. Once you've learned a few things, you become a bit less fearful in trying new things.

I think if you don't have any experience, they will help you get your feet wet. I've learned even more from this site than I learned in any of my Wilton courses, but the Wilton courses were great stepping stones to help me understand more advanced techniques. icon_wink.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 20

I took Course 1 almost five years ago. I was less than a complete novice at the time.

Everything since then has been self-taught. I'm beyond Course 2 now, but would like to take Course 3.

Pumpkin2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pumpkin2u Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 20

yes I am a beginner with the decorating so I think once i get the basics i will be okay.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #8 of 20

As a WMI, of course I'd say the classes are worth it. icon_smile.gif But then again I too took the classes 7 years ago. I knew very little about cake decorating at the time and felt that it was great lesson in the basics. Since then I have been a member a different cakes message boards, been to 4 ICES conventions and have self taught my self many things. I do think though that the hands on practice I got in the classses with someone there to offer suggestions was very helpful into making me the cake decorator I am today.

Some people can learn by reading and pictures where as others learn better with a hands on approach.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #9 of 20

I took Wilton I, II, III and the Gumpaste/Fondant course. Loved all of it. I learned a lot from them but also a whole lot from CC and everyone here. I also believe it has a lot to do with a good teacher. Mine was great and I had a lot of fun going to class and learning with the others. I'm a hands on person so it was helpful to watch everyone else at class also.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #10 of 20

I think they are great to see if you think you like it. I had done a lot of baking - miniatures etc. and could get stars etc. out of a bag to top them, but but didn't know about flowers, fondant etc. Took #1, 2, and 3 and got HOOKED. (Cake Central deserves a little blame for that too!).

Sometimes the stores offer deals - take the class and the kit is half price or vice versa. Used coupons too to make it reasonable.

It also depends a lot on your instructor. Ours was great (yay Jaime) and offered lots of guidance and practical advice to everyone. Couldn't do #4 because of scheduling at work etc., but I sure missed the "night out with the girls" a lot.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #11 of 20

TexasSugar, I am also a WMI and totally agree..I took all 3 of the courses thru wilton than a few advance gumpaste classes from a private store. There is nothing like hands on training because if there is something you just do not understand or its not comming out right, your instructor is there to help and show you the proper way to accomplish it...

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #12 of 20

I took all 3 courses back to back and a fondant/gumpaste class as well. I had a great instructor and I learned soooo much. Please I watch a lot of Food Network shows and, of course, this site has helped me hone my skills.
The courses are inexpensive and definitely worthwhile.

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #13 of 20

I took course I and really, really enjoyed it. It really helped me to develop my skills by seeing someone demonstrate the techniques. My teacher payed very close attention to what we were doing and would notice if we were struggling. She was able to help me make tiny corrections in my technique that would wind up making a big difference in the final product. And learning the wilton rose was great. I personally thought it was worth it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #14 of 20

taking all the wilton courses, plus any outside classes that come around , watching tv ..... reading all the advice here on c/c , will definitily make you the best cake decorator you can be.... never stop learning... i took all the courses... i teach all the courses.... i go to ices convention.... belong to n c ices here.... take classes that come here from traveling teachers and also go out of town for classes .... i love it all.....hth i am definitly a hands on person..... then i can go from there!!!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #15 of 20

I teach the Wilton classes at my local Michaels. You can learn a LOT from awesome CC'ers but I think there is a good way to learn "hands on" like the others have said, in class. Outside of Michael's, I use many other methods and products like CK products and Ateco tips, etc.. but Wilton is a great starting block for many items you need to get into cake decorating.

Since the cost of the classes are very low, I think it is absolutely worth it. Even if you learn the basics, hearing how your teacher does things as well as other students can really help your skills. We teach basic cake construction in Class one, as well as the pretty Wilton rose, lots of borders and we give good advice about multiple uses for tips, icing consistencies, etc... Givem a try!

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #16 of 20

I took my courses at Michaels, and I'm a WMI at Joann (and a community college), and I loved taking my classes. I learned quite a bit, and it sparked my interest in becoming a instructor. I really enjoyed them.

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:15am
post #17 of 20

I took courses I,II,III, and Fondant and Gumpaste. I really enjoyed all the classes. My teacher was great and I learned quite a bit. Taking the classes helped give me the confidence to tackle other cake projects (3-D) on my own.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #18 of 20

I took Course 1-3 @ Michael's and they were a great base to build on. I have added so much more to it, by learning from the great CC people here.

They are definately a good way to get grounded in basid decorating.

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #19 of 20

I'm currently take class II with my 16 year old daughter and we are having so much fun. The classes teach basic flowers, tips and how to hold the bags. Things that are harder to get from a forum. I think the classes will give us a foundation.
Use your 40 or 50% off coupons on the kits, it helps bring down the cost. I'm buying double of everything, but the time with my daughter is priceless.

Meloda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meloda Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #20 of 20

I took courses I-III and the gumpaste/fondant class. I had a phenominal teacher who has since become a good friend. The hands on, visual benefits are enormous. I learn things much better that way. Since then I found CC, recommended by my WMI teacher. I LOVE this website, although I get into trouble READING too much. I say take any and every class you can. You can never learn too much. Good luck and keep on decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%