Black Icing Bleeding!!

Decorating By jespooky Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm by scootinby

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 11

icon_sad.gif Everytime i make black buttercream, it's thin and it runs. I can't add more butercream because that obviously makes the icing grey! How do you make your black buttercream, what coloring brand do you use? Any advice would be appreciated, i have a bratz cake coming up! Thanks!

10 replies
jespooky Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 11

bump

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 11

I use McCormick brand black food coloring from Wal-Mart in the baking aisle, or AirBrush coloring. Both work fine for me. icon_smile.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 11

It helps to start with chocolate icing and use Americolor.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #5 of 11

Make your black buttercream at least a few hours prior to using it. You can make it just a deep grey and it will darken to a black if you let it sit.

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #6 of 11

ditto what tug said...and if you don't want to use chocolate as the base, Americolor gels still make a huge difference. Even with regular BC, I can get a much better black with Americolor than any other brand I've tried.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #7 of 11

I do the same as tug. I start with chocolate bc and then add Americolor Super Black. I typically use Wilton color, but if I need it to be rich (Red, Navy) I go with Americolor.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 11

Also, try using a stiffer icing before adding the color, that should help with the thinning problem. icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 11

Americolor Super Black - love the stuff. Never runs for me. And I start out with white BC - it is so good that you don' t have to add that much to get black. Even with the first few drops, you get a nice almost light black, not even gray.

jespooky Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 11

wow thanks for all the great advice!!

scootinby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scootinby Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 11

Also try adding 2 TBSP of Merignue Powder! It helps hold dark colors and keeps them from fading or bleeding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%