Questions About Warehouse Stores.. Bj's, Costco, Etc

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm by SweetResults

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 14

Do you shop at warehouse stores? I have a BJ's membership and it's nice, but they don't have the real bulk items.. the most they have is a 10lb bag of flour and 5 dozen eggs (unless I'm missing the magical baking section icon_wink.gif )

So I have been looking into other places. I try to stay away from Wal*Mart and anything associated with them (like Sam's) but there is a Costco in Nashua. Does anyone have anything to say about any of these places? There's a Sam's not too far from here and if they have better deals I could shop there.. I just hate supporting them. Does anyone know is Costco or Sam's carries high ratio shortening? I am looking for a local supply for a cake friend of mine.

13 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 14

I buy my sugar at BJ's in 25 lb bags, and my choc chips, and vanilla, and yeast, and butter, sour cream etc. Are you looking for organic ingredients?

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 14

If you have a Restaurant Depot near you they sell 50lb bags of flour and sugar, cases of eggs, tubs of sour cream, etc.

You have to have a sales license to join...

FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 14

I buy the 25 LB bags of sugar too.. I just hear people buying bigger bags of flour, and BJ's only has the 10 lb bags. I just want to be sure that I am getting the most for my money. icon_smile.gif I'd love to be able to knock the cost down if I can. Also.. BJ's only sells the BJ's brand of unsalted butter.. and while it's not a bad product or price.. I like Land-o-Lakes better. I think I'll have to get myself over to the other places and check them out. I just wanted to see if it was any different before I make the trek. icon_smile.gif

I'll have to see if I am near a Restaurant Depot. While I don't think I need quite THAT much at once.. hopefully one day I will.. LOL.

FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 14

Ooooh.. there's one in MA not too too far from here so I might go and check it out. Thanks for the tip pastrylady!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 14

The BJs near my house carries the Earth's Pride organic butter (in the white and green box). They don't have sticks, only the one pound blocks though, so you'd have to cut. A caterer that I know uses it and she said it is very good. Not all locations carry the same items, so you could ask your store's manager to start carrying that for you if you want it.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 14

We have both very close Costco, and Sams. Costco wants $100 for an upgraded business card. Sams is $35. I just happen to have a reciept from Sams in front of me. 18-eggs 2.12, qt H cream 2.88, 4-#s of butter 6.57. Flour is roughly 50 cents a #. Now that being said Costco has higher quality stuff IMO. Is the Q difference that great, NO, but it is there. I'm pretty sure you can get a "visitor" card for the day from either one of them. Go to thier websites.

Mike

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 14

Neither Sam's nor Costco carries hi-ratio shortening.

I did inquire at Sam's customer service to see if they could order it - and they couldn't. icon_sad.gif

However, puzzlegut advised it could be ordered at Gordon Food Service; so I got 50# of Sweetex from them. icon_smile.gif

HTH

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 14

Didn't you know Jeanne that you stand two steps to the right in front of the milk and tap your left foot 3 times and your right foot 4 1/2 times then twirl 3/4 of the way around .. THEN and ONLY then does the magical section appear!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 14

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I love you Christi.. icon_lol.gif

I went to the Costco site and they didn't have their food stuffs listed.. just the TV's and the gift packs of smoked meats and cheeses and the like. I didn't look very long though.

I wish we had GFS around here.. but no such luck. I am going to see about asking at the Restaurant Depot though if they do or can carry high-ratio shortening. I know my friend would love it if they did.

Sam's seems pretty close to BJ's with prices and it's not worth it to save a few pennies to go to Sam's plus I just don't like them as a company.

I'll have to try the organic butter and see if it's good. I never use less than a pound at a time when baking.. LOL.. so that's not a big deal at all.

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I love you Christi.. icon_lol.gif

I went to the Costco site and they didn't have their food stuffs listed.. just the TV's and the gift packs of smoked meats and cheeses and the like. I didn't look very long though.

When you are on the Costco site, click Buisness at the top. It will ask for your zip code ect. Then you will be able to see their food items. The only thing is not everything on the site can be purchased if you walk into Costco, and the prices are a bit different too, but it will give you an idea of what they might have.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Sam's seems pretty close to BJ's with prices and it's not worth it to save a few pennies to go to Sam's plus I just don't like them as a company.

Yeah, and BJ's takes manufacturers coupons (Sam's doesn't), so sometimes you can get lucky and find a coupon for something you use. For certain things I use a lot of, I ask my family to watch for coupons in their paper and give to me (as long as they don't also need the coupon.)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #13 of 14

I totally understand how you feel about Wal Mart chains Jeanne... they are putting small awesome stores OUT of business.. ya know once they put them all out of business they won't be the cheapest anymore GRRRR

I have no choice but to shop there.. they put Wyndalls out of business and they had the BEST meat and produce around...

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #14 of 14

Wal-Marts in New England are NOTHING like the WM's in the rest of the country. I won't go near one here, too skeevey! Even when the new one went in here a few years ago I though GREAT! It will be nice, stocked up, etc... I went in after it was only open about a week and it was already gross. icon_sad.gif

And it's such a shame because they are so beautiful in TX!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%