My First Cake - Any Tips?

Decorating By mickey67 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 10:03am by mickey67

mickey67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey67 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I am attempting to make my first sheet cake for my daughter's third birthday party on June 14th. I'm planning on using a box cake mix and icing it with a basic buttercream icing (maybe the wilton buttercream recipe?).

I'm going to attempt an FBCT of Dora using Squirrely Cake's buttercream recipe. I want to do the FBCT this week and freeze it. My plan is to make and ice the cake (including borders) next Friday. Saturday morning before the party I'll flip Dora onto the cake and add the writing.

Am I going about this the right way? Could I put the FBCT on the cake the day before? Or is it best to apply an FBCT at the last minute?

Thanks for any tips. I hope it turns out well! I'll post a picture regardless. With two little girls I envision making lots of cool cakes over the next couple of decades!

Michelle

4 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 5

Hi Michelle and welcome to CC!

Your timeline sounds good and I think either way is fine - putting it on the day of or the Friday before. I hope everything works out well for you! icon_smile.gif

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 5

Hi Welcome here! icon_biggrin.gif That all sounds good to me. The only advice that I can think to give you is too make sure that your icing is not too thick with the FBCT... the first one that I made (Winnie the Pooh in my photos) ended up not smoothing out too well because the BC was too thick so you ended up being able to see where I piped... after someone told me not to make it so thick... so my next ones turned out a little better. That's pretty much the only advice I can give! I hope it goes well for you!

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:55am
post #4 of 5

When doing a FBCT don't forget to reverse your image first. If you don't have writting on the image no one but you will notice that it is backwards, but pay special attention if there is any writting on it.

mickey67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey67 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:03am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone!!!!

Regarding my image - I already reversed it. I traced on the back of it and I have it taped to the plexiglass and everything - so that's in good shape. And thanks Chen for the tip regarding the FBCT icing! I've read that it needs to be thin. Seeing this is my completely first cake I think that icing consistency - for icing, borders, roses and FBCT will be my biggest challenge!!!! But you've got to start somewhere, right?

Thanks so much. This board is fantastic. I've been lurking for over a week now and I'm so excited that all of you wonderful ladies and your experiences are available to me!

Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%