To Torte Or Not To Torte...

Business By jewelykaye Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm by missmeg

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:56am
post #31 of 38

"What the heck of that thing made of, is it a laser beam?!"

It must be platinum with a diamond tipped blade! LOL!

I still want one though...

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:20am
post #32 of 38

Me too. Can some one tell me which one should I get.the normal one layer one or the delux that cuts 2 layers????

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:43am
post #33 of 38

I have the regular Agbay leveler. It is no trouble to level the top and then torte the layers. Only takes a few extra seconds. Unless you need those extra seconds, I think the regular leveler will do.

I love my Agbay! It is worth every penny. In fact, as a kosher baker, I have up to now only baked pareve (non-dairy) cakes and I just have one Agbay. When I have a bakery (very soon, I hope) I plan to also bake dairy cakes and dairy and non-dairy utensils will have to be kept separate. I absolutely plan to have a second Agbay. I don't ever want to have to torte or level a cake without one! thumbs_up.gif

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:49am
post #34 of 38

Iâm one of the âOtherâ responses in the poll. Hereâs the long-winded explanation icon_smile.gif

Iâve posted about my âtortingâ confusion before, and thanks to CC I got to understand the major difference between the European cakes (or I should say âtortesâ or âspecialty desertsâ, even though the word clearly translates to âcakeâ) I grew up with and what is called a âcakeâ here in the U.S.

I have been conditioned to think that the thinner and more fragile the layers, the better the cake â that is, Iâd bake scratch âcakesâ (tortes) in individual âlayersâ thinner than 1/4" and would torte a 2â cake at least twice (I use a good olâ thread, no fancy levelers)⦠In my cake world, thick layers used to equal sloppy, lazy job â or rather something done to enjoy very casually with family all the time, but most definitely not for a birthday or other special occasionâ¦I have slices shown in my Suitcase and Penguin cakes pics of what Iâd consider special occasion âcakesâ (tortes)â¦

Now that I know what the U.S. cake âstandardsâ are, Iâd still say definitely torte for 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling on a 4â cake â it tastes better, plus the slice looks nicer too - but Iâm no longer so critical or snob about a âregularâ un-torted cake - it's just how most cakes are made here!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:49am
post #35 of 38

Sometimes, it depends on the celebration.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:08am
post #36 of 38

I agree, in addition to looking prettier and fancier once cut, it tastes better torted...but yes I like filling too! It's also especially nice to have extra layers BC inside if the cake is covered in fondant for all those folks that aren't gonna touch the fondant. They get their cake and icing too!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:17pm
post #37 of 38

shisharka you have to post more "inside" pictures of your cakes!! I've love to be able to torte like that! Yum!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Lol, I swear, when you describe this I can see Sugarshack doing it in her perfect buttecream DVD! Until I got that thing, I never knew about settling or using firm icing or any of that good stuff.

.......some night I dream of an Agbay. *sigh*

Yuppers thumbs_up.gif . I convinced my dad to get me the DVD for Christmas. He even gave me the reciept so I could expense it for the business icon_lol.gif . Thanks to Sugarshack, I haven't had a single blowout issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%