Alaskan Theme

Decorating By lesn Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm by tracycakes

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any ideas on doing a cake thats theme is Alaska? Tips? Tricks? Im at a total loss.

Thanks.
Leslie

5 replies
cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 6

Alaska always makes me think of the animals... moose, eagle, polar bears, whales, sea otters. Maybe gumpaste/fondant animals surrounded by trees or maybe something cool like incorporating water/ice/glaciers?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 6

Is this for a birthday? I've done Alaskan themed cookies and cakes before, since we're moving there next year and my husband is all about Alaska. One I did for a cake show was two-tiered, with sled dogs all around it, and on top an Eskimo man and woman. They were fondant figures.

Salmon are very important up there, as well as moose and bear. You could go a search online for some of the native Alaskan drawings of those animals and pipe that onto the cake.

Deanna

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 6

It is for a birthday... this weekend. Nothin like waiting till the last minute icon_wink.gif heehee. I'm not really experienced in fondant or gumpaste, so I am not sure if I could pull it off for the weekend. But those ideas are great. Maybe I can encorporate them somehow. Thanks so much.
Leslie

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 6

I have some polar bear cookies in my photos. How about piping on pics of polar bears wearing sweaters and scarves?

Deanna

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 6

I love Alaska, we spent 2 months there once! I think of Denali, moose, polar bears, fireweed, lakes. I also think of the totem poles and native americans. It would be cool to do a sheet cake with a mountain at one end with a lake and surrounding the lake could be moose , black bears, trees and of course, fireweed. Fireweed is a flower that is usually the first thing to grow back after a fire. It is a bright fushia color during the summer and then it "cottons". The have a saying "when fireweed turns to cotton, summer is soon forgotten". I love Alaska! Can you tell? icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%