Cupcake Bakery

Business By sheblea Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm by Mike1394

sheblea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheblea Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 13

Hi All,

Do any of you own/operate a "cupcake only" storefront??? I am looking into opening one had some questions about getting started.

1. Do you have to have a hood system if you're just making cupcakes??? Have all the other equipment listed, but wasn't sure about this.
2. Least amount of square footage (I was thinking 1800)
3. Best brand for convection oven
4. Do any of you have pictures you'd like to share of your layout.

Working on business plan so any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Sheblea

12 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 13

I don't have one yet, I will within 12 months though. We are actually (my mom and I, shes the business brains, and I'm the baker) going to put ours in a mall.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 13

You can look at the Sprinkles Bakery online. How cool is this? I am DYING to go! http://www.sprinklescupcakes.com/

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 13

Sheblea -

You should contact your code enforcement and health departments for your area regarding this regulation. It varies from state to state, and often, from area to area within a state, and what types of products you will be offering. Our experience can tell you what is not or not required where we live, but that does not mean the same rules apply to your location.

For instance, if you are offering only a shortening-based icing, and using a convection oven, then you might not be required to install a hood and vent system.

On the other hand, if you are offering icings which must be cooked or heated during preparation (smbc, imbc, boiled icings, etc), you may be required to install that equipment.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 13

Apparently this is a duplicate post, and I answered on the other one!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #6 of 13

1800 square feet seems like alot of extra space, you dont want to be paying for area you dont need. I would stay close to 1000-1400 max.
You can avoid the expense of the hood with an electric oven.
A cupcake paradise sounds delightful with maybe a gazillion flavors. Good luck!

melmusick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmusick Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #7 of 13

I have visited the infamous "Sprinkles" recently and it is very small. It may have seemed so small because it was so crowded! Very modern but small! Great cupcakes though! icon_biggrin.gif

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 13

I'm working on the lease agreement on my space right now, so hopefully I can help you.

1. You only have to have a hood system if you cook with either grease or gas. If you plan to use electrical cooking formats, then no, you don't need one.

2. 1800 is waaaay to much space! Even if you plan to offer seating, that is alot. Some stores are around 1000 square feet, but can go as small as 650. It depends on how much production you plan to have. I.e. if you only have walk in traffic, no seating, then you less than 1000 will do.

3. I believe that there are alot of threads on this, but I priced a Deluxe oven.

4. Still working on this for my own shop, but you can do a google search to find interiors of other shops.

HTH!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 13

Check out this website...

http://www.buildingabakery.blogspot.com/

It is very detailed on building their cupcake bakery. They are pretty nice, and will probably respond to any email inquiries.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrsktch

1. You only have to have a hood system if you cook with either grease or gas. If you plan to use electrical cooking formats, then no, you don't need one.

Not necessarily. I had to have one, and I'm using electric. I would have had to add a fire suppression system to it with an open flame, however.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 13

I"m not a cupcake-only shop, but I agree the 1800 is a LOT of space. My entire space is 1150 sq ft. About half of it is kitchen and the other half is front office and retail. (It may be a 55/45 or a 60/40 split, but it's really close). I do wedding cakes, cookies AND full food catering in this kitchen space that is about 600-700 sq ft. THere are pics of my space on my Flickr site (link below).

If you are planning to have seating, also factor in add'l costs such as public restrooms. I didn't have to have a public restroom (handicap accessible) since I don't sell for eating-on-premises. That was going to cost me over $5,000. One person told me you can get by with one restroom (in our state) if you have seating for less than 15, but if it's more than 15, then you have to have 2 separate restrooms.

Check with local authorities on what is required in your area.

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 13

bump....

are there any cupcake bakery owners here?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 13

The ONLY one that can give you the correct answer on your hood ? is your local HD, and city.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%