Donating A Cake...

Business By jewelykaye Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:16am by BlakesCakes

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 6

I was contacted by the people who do fundraising for muscular dystrophy. They have an auction coming up and they wanted to know if I would donate a wedding cake for a give away.

They said we could set restrictions to the amount of servings and design.

The auction is going to be advertised on a couple local news channels and some other areas.

I asked the lady to email me the info and I would get back to her.

What do you guys think? Have any of you done a donated cake before and was it worth it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
jewelykaye Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #3 of 6

Personally I wouldn't donate a cake, I would donate a dollar amount towards a cake. I think people look at the $ a lot more and realize what kind of value they are getting instead of just a wedding cake.

If you do it though make sure you are specific on how many servings, if it includes delivery or not... how much notice you will need, etc... typical items for any wedding cake, but you don't want a call a week or two ahead for this "free" cake and not have time or resources to do it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 6

I go with the 'keep it simple' thing and I'd donate a gift certificate of (for example) $300 toward a wedding cake. It's just cleaner and simpler. Suppose they put a limitation of 100 guests and the winner is planning a wedding for 200 ... they may think "Well, I can't use this". Or if they are planning a wedding for 200, they may not even bid on the item (which is bad for the auction).

Flat amount dollar value. keep it simple.

jewelykaye Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #5 of 6

Perfect! Absolutely perfect!

Donating a dollar amount is exactly what I will do.

Thank you, you guys!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 6

I donate certificates for cakes, cupcakes, and cookies all the time. I restict the number of servings, give an approximate $value for that # of servings, give them 1 year to use it, request no less than 2 weeks notice, and if they want more servings, I make them donate more money to the charity.

I have a cake due at the end of July. The woman won a certificate for 50 servings. She needs 150. Because of the info on the certificate, she's now making an additional large donation to the original charity. icon_lol.gif

It works both ways, I guess.
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%