Graduation Hat

Decorating By Danacakes65 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm by flamingobaker

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 7

So I am having the hardest time making a tassel out of fondant for the grad hat...Anyone haveany suggestions?

6 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have an extruder (clay extruder) with the disc with multi small holes??

I just squeeze out several lenghts of gum paste in the length that I want - gather it at one end and wrap with a strip of gum paste.

To keep the individual piece of gum paste from the multi hole from sticking together hold it up in the air while extruding it out and the air will slightly dry the paste and keep most of them from sticking together. I use scissors to trim to lenght.

I hope this make some sort of sense.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 7

a garlic press works great for that ..... is that what you are using... also the sugarcraft gun.... you have to order that on line.... the clay gun at michaels. acmoore etc... you grease the cavity.... put the fondant in.... squeeze really good..... i have the garlic press and the sugarcraft gun.... good luck .... hth

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 7

There is a tutorial on here in the articles section on how to make one, also if you search the forums there are several posts regarding other methods as well.
My DH and I just made one for a cake for this weekend and we wanted a two tones tassel as the school colors are maroon and white so what we did was layer the fondant on top of each other then cut thin stripes with a paring knife, once we had the desired look we pinched the top and wraped one more around the bottom. HTH

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks ladies ,I have been trying to make the tassel without the gun,and also what has been happening is the fondant keeps breaking everytime I think I have it made...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 7

the name of the sugar gun i mentioned was blocked..... i wasn,t advertising any business, that is what the sugar gun is callled... it is ashame , that this can be done to our post, just because it can be .... i think some people got mad at this company and it is blocked from here.... like i said , it is the name of the gun, not the business....

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 7

I cut a thin rectangle of fondant the width of which is slightlylonger than the length of the tassle and the length 1 - 1 1/2 X that. Cut into the width up to about 1 inch from end all the way down the length. Roll it up and pich the edges.
I hope that is clear, but I'm not sure it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%