Improvised Poured Fondant? Help...

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 7:37am by maimai16

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:56am
post #1 of 3

my sis-in-law asked me to make several cupcakes as gift to her guests on her wedding day and a couple of 6" diameter cake for the VIP's and all covered in fondant... im just thinking, is it possible to use melted marshmallow as replacement for a poured fondant? has anybody tried it before? i'm thinking melting the marshmallow like i would im making mmf, instead of mixing it with the icing sugar, im going to deep the cupcakes to lesen the burden and save time of making batches of mmf to cover all the cucpcakes and 6" cakes. cc i need all your expertise and help on this... the wedding is on june27... i dont have all the energy to do a trial and error on this... icon_sad.gif

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:07am
post #2 of 3

Melted marshmallow stays sticky, with little holes from bubbles in it. I don't think it would work well. (see what everyone else says though, maybe someone else has tried it)

It's actually not too hard to cover cupcakes with rolled fondant, if you're using pretty wrappers and then just putting a fondant circle on top of each cupcake.

Making several cupcakes for each guest, though, sounds like your sister is taking advantage of having a cake artist for a sister icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

You can always heat up a store-bought tub of frosting, and end up with a pourable coating. I've used it on bundt cakes and I've read here about people using it for a pourable coating for petit fours.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:37am
post #3 of 3

thanks texas rose... shes really something you know icon_smile.gif little holes? thats not good... store bought frosting would be a great option icon_biggrin.gif thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%