Any Ideas For Whale Blow Hole Spout?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:56am by joy5678

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 9

Making a 3-D sculptured, realistic fin whale. Any suggestions what to use to make it look like water is spraying out of the blow hole? The pics in the galleries are great, but the customer wants it all to look very realistic.
Any ideas you can share would be appreciated. icon_eek.gif Watching for your answers. icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #2 of 9

Perhaps pipe royal icing, and then when dry, paint with a shimmery silver or pearl luster dust?

The royal icing would done on waxed paper, maybe in upward curves? (Not the right word, but I think you might know what I mean).

Also, most cookbooks have recipes for hard candy -- make it in clear, then quickly pour it out in thin streams on a cookie sheet. When cool and hard, place in blow hole...Just some ideas...hope this helps!

joy5678 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #3 of 9

Awesome ideas. thumbs_up.gif Thank you so much. I'll have to practice abit but it will be fun trying.

Petit-four Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 9

You're welcome. icon_smile.gif I just thought...maybe make the candy or RI a pale blue. Whatever you think would look more like water, I suppose. I'd love to see how it looks...I'm sure it will be great.

joy5678 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Petit-four, I'm finally getting a portfolio together & will try to post what few pics I have. I don't know what the animal thing is? I have a frog & a whale this month! icon_smile.gif Never know what will come next do we?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 9

Let me go find a picture of my EX wife, and I'll post it. icon_surprised.gif OMG am I going to get roasted for that one.LOLOLOL Sorry ladies icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 9

I have a couple of ideas. One is to marbelize some blue and white fondant (or gumpaste), roll into a log and shape. Let it dry and then insert it into the whale. In my pix, I did that for the whale on the Noah's ark cake, but he was a small whale.

Another idea is to make large, curved teardrop shapes of gumpaste or fondant attached to a wire. When they drop, dust with Lustre Dust and insert into the whale. I can't really draw it (Doug?) but make it look like drops of what shooting up and arcing.

Good Luck!

Petit-four Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 9

Mike -- that is NOT NICE! icon_twisted.gificon_confused.gificon_sad.gif

(And I should know, I'm still recovering from my recent CC "bruises'). icon_cry.gif

I like tracycakes ideas too. icon_smile.gif

(OK, now I forgive you Mike icon_rolleyes.gif )

joy5678 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:56am
post #9 of 9

More good ideas tracy. Looked at your cakes & they are so cute. Loved the whale icon_smile.gif Baaaaad Mike, but I guess us "gals" will forgive you, after all you are a "caker"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%