Best Chocolate Chips?

Baking By daranaco Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 12:43am by atari97

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 9

I usually use Ghiradelli for my chocolate chip cookies. They taste good but I would like to find chips that stay "melted" when at room temperature. So that they are still gooey when you take a bite. Does anyone know if something like this exists?

8 replies
terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 9

Lindt chocolate chips are great and have that velvet texture.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 9

I always use the Ghiradelli Bittersweet. They to me are the best the creamiest and dont get hard as most. There may be something else(better) out there but I find these the best. I am surprised you have an issue with them not being melty all the time living in TX. icon_wink.gif Sorry I couldnt be more help. Hopefully you can find more what you want. It may be a much higher cost issue too though.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 9

I use mostly Baker's brand choc chips for cookies and my ganache. I've used lots of different brands over the years but never had any stay gooey after the cookies have cooled. They cool and the choc sets up again.

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 9

FWIW, I use both milk and semi-sweet chips in my cookies. The milk chips stay melty-er (I know, that's not a word! icon_wink.gif ) and the two types of chocolate give a nice depth of flavor.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 9

Oh that sounds very yummy!! Thanks for that brainy idea!

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 9

Has anyone tried Sunspire's non-dairy chocolate chips http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172832&prrfnbr=457241 ? America's Taste Kitchen rated them highly.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #8 of 9

My favorite are the semi-sweet chips from Trader Joe's.

atari97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atari97 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #9 of 9

you'll never find a chocolate chip that stays 100% melty, because it has to do with the type of fat in chocolate. if ithe fat is hard at room temperature to begin with, it will stay that way after it has melted and re-hardened.
It has more to do with the recipe - in some recipes, the chocolate chips melt and almost become part of the dough, and in that case they may seem 'melty-er' when you bite into them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%