A Chocolate Coating With Shine???

Decorating By mandytagg Updated 30 May 2008 , 6:24pm by mandytagg

mandytagg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandytagg Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding next weekend and was planning on making the Grooms cake a surfboard (he shapes them as a hobby). Thought it would be cute because his last name is always an element on his boards.

Anyhow, just wondering if there is such a thing as chocolate MMF? If not, would I coat it with ganache or what? I would love it to have a sheen/shiny appearance as a waxed board does.

Any ideas, suggestions, psychiatric advice??? Please?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:24am
post #2 of 4

You can make chocolate MMF. Just replace some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark will make a really chocolaty fondant that's almost black). I usually use half a cup of cocoa powder.

I've achieved a sheen on fondant by coating it with crisco once it's on the cake. I've also painted fondant with a mix of corn syrup and vodka to get a nice shine (it's the cutout cookies in my photos). That will give a shinier shine icon_biggrin.gif than the crisco.

I've heard of some people using confectioner's glaze on their fondant for a really nice shine, but I haven't tried it personally, because I read that confectioners glaze was made from secretions from beetles. (I know honey comes from an insect, but somehow that seems different).

JenJen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJen1 Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:36am
post #3 of 4

Satin Ice and another company (can't think of the name..) make chocolate MMF. It's actually very tasty too....( Like Tootsie roll). Hope this helps

mandytagg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandytagg Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 4

thanks ladies!! don't think i have time to order satin ice, etc.; i don't think anyone around here sells it either.

does vodka and corn syrup make the fondant taste yucky? icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%