Royal Icing Transfer Vs. Chocolate Trasnfer

Decorating By DeniseFL Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm by lanakb

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 14

Hey There..
For father's day I am planning on decorating my cake with little ( I would say 4 inches long) ties in one color... For the first time I am going to try the transfer techniche and would like to know:
IN THIS CASE, DO YOU GUYS THING WOULD LOOK BETTER (or easier) THE ROYAL ICING OR CHOCOLATE TRANSFER??? OR EITHER ONE?
Thank you so much!!!

13 replies
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 14

Do you mean royal icing like color flow? Those would be hard candy like ties. Then there's the frozen buttercream transfer, which i think would be more work since they will be small ties. I just did the chocolate transfer and it was really easy and fun. Plus, it will taste much better than color flow ties, I vote for chocolate!

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 14

thank you, akgirl10
I just tought that maybe drawing little ties in the wax paper and after dry transfer them to the cake would be a good idea too...Waiting for more replies...

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 14

Oh yeah...chocolate would be easier to do. So I vote for chocolate. I have been doing more choc. transfers, and they are cool to do.
Have fun!

lanakb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanakb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #5 of 14

How far ahead in advance could you make the choc transfer??
I am thinking of doing something like this for my daugthers first b'day but may need to do it a couple of days earlier (transfer only), then make cake night before, decorate on day.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 14

lana, I made my CT animals (photo in my pics) about a week before the cake. If you use real chocolate it might discolor but candy melts will maintain their color just fine...learned that on this site icon_smile.gif

lanakb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #7 of 14

Excellent. I'm thinking of having a few practice rounds this weekend before I tackle the big job in a months time.

What are candy melts?

Sorry I live in Australia - they may be called something else here.

lorijom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:56am
post #8 of 14

candy melts are little rounds of various colored "candy" like chocolate made specifically to melt into candy forms. It melts perfectly smooth and is easy to work with. I hope they have something similar in Australia because they make chocolate transfers so easy to do with great results.

lanakb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:02am
post #9 of 14

It might be like the choc buds here.
Heres a picture i found - http://www.coles.com.au/images/cmi/library/ingredient/small/nestle_chocolate_melts__white_375_gram.jpg

Hopefully they are similar...lol I have these so I will have a muck around with them and see how it all goes.

Thank you for your help this morning thumbs_up.gif

lorijom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #10 of 14

lana, only one other piece of advice...don't use water based food coloring, not even gel because it won't dissolve into the chocolate. Hopefully you can get oil based color...or try with what you have and see how it goes. icon_smile.gif I tried with gel and it left little specks of color...not horrible but not great either.

lanakb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #11 of 14

Ahh good advice. Right now though as I live in a somewhat remote area it I will just have to go with whatever I can find, but I will be going to the city for the birthday and will be hitting all the major cake supply shops.

I'm getting all excited about my trails now, can't wait for the weekend to come around.

lorijom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:18am
post #12 of 14

good luck and have fun icon_smile.gif

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 14

Overall, I prefer working with royal icing over chocolate transfers.

Chocolate transfers tend to have a more playful, cartoon-y look to them (imo). They also taste better (though my kids love royal icing). Chocolate transfers can be made in a shorter period of time: no mixer needed; they dry faster.

You can make more intricate details with royal icing. Royal icing is easier (for me) to tint the color I need. If your kitchen is not cool enough, chocolate transfers can be a bit of a pain when you handle them. Even though royal icing can be fragile, I've had less problem with breakage with it (compared to chocolate transfers).

Good luck!

lanakb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #14 of 14

Yes I was also thinking about royal icing. Orignally I was going to do the frozen buttercream transfer but it looked like alot to do, plus I would have no idea on how to make buttercream.
Chocolate and royal icing seem much easier for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%