I Was A Month Early!

Decorating By scgriffiths Updated 29 May 2008 , 6:50pm by BlakesCakes

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:26am
post #1 of 14

I do cakes for a kid's play centre. I've had a really busy week and was up half the night getting this one finished, only to get to the play centre and find the order was for the 29th of next month! So, I was hoping someone could tell me the best way to freeze this: It is a chocolate cake with no fillings, covered in BC with BC outline. I tried freezing one like this for my son last year, when I had several cakes to do in the one week, and as it defrosted it sort of sweated. Is it possible to freeze without squishing my outline???
LL

13 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:22am
post #2 of 14

Hmmmm, you could try open freezing the cake first for a few hours until the BC is frozen solid, then wrap and freeze as required. To defrost, I would unwrap the cake whilst frozen and then hopefully the condensation will evaporate as the cake defrosts!

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:33am
post #3 of 14

I was told by a cake decorator with a lot of years experience how to freeze wedding cakes. I have been doing them that way since with no problems (so far) BUT, none of the cakes I've frozen were so darkly colored. Well, there was achocolate and white half and half come to think of it that I gave my niece just last night and she hasn't called to say there were any problems with it. ??? Here's the method I was told. Put the cake in the freezer UNWRAPPED (on its board) for 48 to 72 hours so it freezes as solid as possible. Then gently wrap a coil of saran wrap ("a saran snake") around the outside edge of your cake. (This protects your borders from damage) Next cover the cake with saran wrap going over both sides, gently so you dont push down too much. Next, wrap the cake with FREEZER (also known as butcher) paper. shiny side toward cake. Do this kind of loosely. Return to freezer until needed. (up to one year for the top tier of the wedding cake.) Since the top tier is small you can also place it into a plastic storage box for extra "squish" protection. When it's time to use it, take it out of the freezer, remove all of its wrappings and let it come to room temperature. There is usually moisture but, it dries without causing problems. I use the water method for smoothing my cakes and they dry with no problem and I am always being asked "How do you get your cakes so smooth?" That's how. My icings are all buttercream that I have tried this with. Good luck with it.

waywordz Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:39am
post #4 of 14

I said put the freezer paper on kind of loosely. I meant gently. You want it secured from air. icon_redface.gif

scgriffiths Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:09am
post #5 of 14

Thanks guys!! It will be great if I don't have to re-do it next month!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 14

Waywords, your freezing method sounds great! Some of the "oldies" here at CC who have now moved on also recommended putting the well-covered cake into a dark plastic (garbage) bag as well to help protect it from moisture and odors in the freezer. I never had to freeze one for any length of time to need this much protection, but it made sense to me.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 14

Dont try just any garbage bag though.. make sure bag is food grade.. or else there are chemicals in the plastic .. Just a reminder icon_smile.gif

waywordz Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 14

Hi; veejaytx! I got lost in the forums and haven't made it back to the games. lol icon_smile.gif I can't take credit for the idea, I just followed the cake decorators instructions. That was about 4 years before I became addicted to doing cakes. (She gave me my first push.) Hmmm...a food grade garbage bag? wgoat5,I think that's an oxymoron. I have never heard of such an animal. I could see where it would work, I have used foil as an extra protection for some of my leftover cake. Although, really that was more to help keep it from being squished by tubs of icing. But, if you have it wrapped in all the other layers first, I doubt the plastic bag could hurt, even if it wasn't food grade. (When I used the foil I added it after the saran and before the freezer paper but, it didn't seem necessary, I haven't frozen anything, yet, for a year. Except my friends wedding cake, while she left to go on her honeymoon. I can't eat anything I make, so, I do have to freeze some leftovers from classes.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 14

Hmm.. well you don't eat food out of a trash.. some trash bag co. put chemicals in their bags to keep animals from wanting to chew them (hmmm... hasn't kept them from doing it to mine though)... there are food grade BAGS not trash bags... Some examples are called bun bags or covers..

waywordz Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 14

Aha. I get it. Didn't think about that. Sometimes I'm as dense as pound cake! That makes so much more sense. Thank You wgoat5.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 14

If your cake is properly wrapped in plastic wrap, foil, and/or freezer paper, it is never going to touch the plastic bag.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 14

I decorate my cake and put it in the box wrapped 3 or 4 times with saran wrap. When I get ready to use the cake I thaw it completely before removing the saran wrap and have never had any problems with moisture or bleeding. After it is completely thawed you can remove the plastic wrap and it should be fine.

scgriffiths Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 14

Donna, if I let the cake thaw before taking off the wrap, then the piping will be ruined, won't it??

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

I decorate my cake and put it in the box wrapped 3 or 4 times with saran wrap. When I get ready to use the cake I thaw it completely before removing the saran wrap and have never had any problems with moisture or bleeding. After it is completely thawed you can remove the plastic wrap and it should be fine.

This is my method, too. I box the cake up just like I would for delivery. I then wrap the box in several layers of saran and sometimes a layer of heavy duty foil, just for good measure. I then put the whole thing in a garbage bag, tape it closed and freeze. I always defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hrs. and then unbox--no bleeding, no sweating.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%