Need Tips On Making Calla Lillies From Fondant

Decorating By rikley Updated 30 May 2008 , 9:55pm by diane

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:02am
post #1 of 13

I have a wedding cupcake order and need to make 120 Calla Lillies out of fondant. Has anyone done this before? Can you tell me some tips on how to make them? The weddings in July so I have a month to make and decorate them all. icon_surprised.gif

12 replies
disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 13

I'm anxious to see your responses, I have to make them as well!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 13

I find it easiest to use a small heart shaped cookie cutter pressed into the fondant (or fondant/gumpast mixture) ...then just roll the two rounded edges together and seal them with a dab of water. Curl the edges back slightly, for a natural look. Make a yellow cone shaped piece out of fondant to insert into the throat of the flower. Hope that helps!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #4 of 13

Yes hear shape cutters work well. You can vein them with corn husks purchased at thegrocery store in the Hispanic foods section (for tamales).

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #5 of 13

I do them the same way as MrsMissey except I use a calla cutter and I dry them over disposable water cups (cone shape).

AmazingGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmazingGraceCakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #6 of 13

I use all sizes of heart shape and leaf cutters and glue the edges with whipped egg white. Before I glue them I use the dog bone tool to thin out the edges and vein just a bit.
For the yellow whatever it's called in the center of the flower I make a thin coned shaped piece out of white fondant, stick cloth covered wire dipped into the egg into the cone from the bottom about half way up, brush the cone with egg white and roll it in yellow cornmeal. I make the cone shaped pieces ahead of time so that the fondant dries and the wire is secure, but if your not using wire than you skip this part. I usually dry them overnight on the Wilton flower formers, if I didn't have them the disposable water cup idea is wonderful!
Calla lilies are very simple to make and they look beautiful on a cake, I brush mine with white pearl dust.
I hope this is helpful and not confusingicon_smile.gif You can take a peek at my calla lilies from my photos, if you'd like.icon_smile.gif I don't know why the last sentence is highlighted???icon_smile.gif

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:18am
post #7 of 13

my instructor in the gumpaste and fondant class strayed a bit and showed us the calla lily. For the stamen we did the little yellow piece of gumpaste painted it with gumglue and rolled it in yellow decorating sugar. It gave it great texture and a little sparkle.

HTH

Judi

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 13

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by linstead

Yes hear shape cutters work well. You can vein them with corn husks purchased at thegrocery store in the Hispanic foods section (for tamales).

oooh...cool tip! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 13

I used a little heart cutter for these.......I've also heard of rolling the stamen in cornmeal for a more natural look.

These are incredible simple....although as you can see they don't look "real"
LL

diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 13

...brush the cone with egg white and roll it in yellow cornmeal.

icon_wink.gif great tip...never thought of cornmeal! thumbs_up.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #12 of 13

Here is a You Tube video, parts 1 & 2.

diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 13

thanks for the info...the video was very helpful. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%