Adding Sparkes/glitter To Bc?

Decorating By allibopp5 Updated 27 May 2008 , 8:51pm by ericaann79

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bride requesting white sparkles on white buttercream. I don't have an airbrush or anything...any ideas on how to get a uniform application of sparkle on Buttercream?

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 5

Does she want them on the tops only or on the sides, too?

I put glitter on my granddaughter's birthday last year and just sprinkled it on the cake. Lifted one side (so the cake was at an angle) to put it on the side. Didn't have any problems and no one said anything like "omg the glitter's not even! icon_surprised.gif " icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 5

I would like to put on the sides an the tops. I'm a little scared to tilt the cakes...I tend to have bad luck when it comes to things like that! Any other ideas? Is there an inexpensive tool that I could get to help out???
Seems like I heard about an airbrush tool that Duff uses that is inexpensive? Can't seem to find the thread I was reading...

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 5

Go to the dollar store or some discount store and get one of those little personal fans that run on 1 double A battery - they are really tiny. Spritz the sides of the cake with a little bit of water, then start sprinkling the sparkles toward the side of the cake with one hand while blowing the fan towards the cake with the other. Make sure your fingers and hands are completely dry when you're doing this, or the sparkles won't blow.

The little fans are powerful enough to propel the cake sparkles, but not powerful enough to disturb your smooth buttercream.

It's been like 2 years since I've tried this, but I recall it working fairly well at the time.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 5

Duff uses the Preval Sprayer, I was going to use that on the cake I just did last weekend, but I read in here that the compressed air it uses isn't "food safe". So I went safer than sorry and I put some luster dust in my palm and gently blew it onto the cake...worked like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%