Wilton Fondant- How Bad Really Is It?

Decorating By gottabakenow Updated 29 May 2008 , 3:52pm by AJsGirl

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 67

so I'm just wondering... I've made mmf a few times, and while it tastes good, i cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the textures supposed to be like. all i know is that it's not supposed to be how it always comes out!

it gets sticky when i touch it or when it's left in the air and it only hardens up if i put it in the fridge in greased and confectioner-sugared wax paper or plastic wrap. all in all it's not so fun! icon_cry.gif

I'd love to try real fondant and was wondering what the wilton stuff actually tastes like. i know it gets a bad rap but does it taste like... like... something really disgusting or too sweet or not sweet enough or what? i'm really curious over here. icon_rolleyes.gif i know this sounds weird but if anyone can possibly explain the taste, i'd be very grateful. icon_lol.gif

thanks!

66 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 67
Quote:
Quote:

i know it gets a bad rap but does it taste like... like... something really disgusting or too sweet or not sweet enough or what?

It tastes like Elmer's Glue smells. It is not fit for human consumption. If you would like to try commercial fondant, I highly recommend Satin Ice.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 67

It sort of tastes like something not edible...like maybe plastic or something thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif It's so bad that I was making some figures out of it and the 5 teenage boys who were at my house took one bite...thinking it was something worth swiping a bite of and all of them said YUCK and spit it out. I will say though that I always keep some around because it's very nice to work with and for the price it's great to use for things that won't be eaten.

If you're looking for fondant that tastes great and is excellent to work with I highly recommend Michele Foster's fondant..it's the only fondant I use...I tried MMF once and didn't like the texture or working with it. JMHO

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 67

I ONLY use Wilton for figures and cake dummies as I can get it for 50% off at Michael's. For consumption I use Satin Ice as I just don't have the desire to make my own fondant!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 67

I used to keep some wilton fondant on hand for brides and grooms to sample. I'd tell them, "Wait until I get you a trash can to spit it out in .... because you WILL spit it out."

And they always did.

I'd rather eat play-doh.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 67

Yes, basically inedible.

If you want to purchase fondant try Satin Ice. I make mmf with Crisco (some recipes don't include it) and it really makes it easier to work with.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 67

I think Wilton has a slightly chemical taste to it. I don't think it's inedible, but it's definitely not the nicest fondant available. I don't much like eating any kind of fondant, but I do like Satin Ice. It tastes and smells like marshmallows to me. Their chocolate fondant is pretty tasty, too. I haven't tried making it - looks like a lot of work for a part-timer like me, but I've heard so many good things about Michele Foster's that I think I'll give that one a try.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 67

I make my fondant from the recipe in the wilton yearbook. it tastes good and the texture is great. It is really easy to make, comes toether in about 15 mins front to back.. especially if you have a KA mixer, just use the dough hook and let the machine knead it for you easy peasy. I don't like any of the commercial fondant. i work at a bakery and we make all of our fondant ( except choc... for that we do use satin ice and the flavor is not that great)

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 67

I agree with everyone else. The Wilton fondant taste horrible. I just recently started making cakes and Wilton fondant is all I've used because I don't know how to make my own. I've tasted it and it's disgusting! It's got like a grainy texture, I wouldn't say it's sweet though, and it's like biting on plastic. Some people like it and actually eat all of what's on their slice of cake (YUCK) while others, like my brother, throws it away. My brother is ALWAYS telling me that my cakes look great but that the fondant kills it. He tells me to add a different flavoring to it but like I said I don't really know much about cakes since I just started making them. I think I will start looking around for a good fondant recipe so my brother can stop making me feel bad. But yeah the Wilton fondant is DISGUSTING! icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 67

I don't even like the consistancy of it, I've found it to dry out quickly, be too sticky and just altogether not a good product. It amazes me how bad it is. Go with Satin Ice.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 67

Really disgusting! I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to EAT a cake covered in fondant....until we discovered MMF!! - and we use Satin Ice, too, for our primary colored cakes and accents.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 67

Maybe it would make a really nice fondant trashcan!...Is awful...I would only use it for dummies!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 67

All I can say is EEEEWWWWW!!!!!It's pretty nasty,but great to practice with.I buy mine at michaels and use the 40% off coupon.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 67

I would rather lick the bottom of my shoe than to eat Wilton's fondant. YUCK!

I made MMF a couple of times and it was horrendous to work with. It was either so dry it cracked or it was so greased w/Crisco it was shiny plastic looking.

I just stick w/BC.

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 67

It's craptastic. Stay away. Good for practice, bad for eating.

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 67

I havent tried the satin ice where do you recommend getting it from?

tammycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammycake Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 67

Honestly, I use it all the time. I get it for 40-50% off at Michaels/Joanns/or AC Moore w/ coupons. I only bake for friends and family. My kids don't love MMF that much either so I see no point in all that extra work/mess to watch them pick it off and put it on their plates. They just pick the Wilton off also and tell their friends to.

I haven't been covering cakes as much as using it as accents. Like a zebra cake with fondant stripes.

I also make a lot of gumpaste/fondant flowers and shoes using Wilton.

I was going to buy good fondant for MIL/FILs 50th Wedding anniversary cake but I was so annoyed that the guest list/party got out of control, they got Wilton. If I was going to make a cake for something special I would buy non-Wilton fondant.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #18 of 67

i tried using the wilton's fondant for convinience but i find it hard to use and yes lol-craptastic! i also tried using mmf and though it was ok it was a bit elastic for me and a lot more work than i wished to put in (at this time anyway). i use virgin ice (i'm looking at the lid right now, yes that's what it is) and i think it's the same as satin ice-i live in ontario so don't have the same products always available. it's the best and i love working with it-don't give up on fondant. you can flavour it too-just like colouring it, add a few drops of vanilla or whatever. hth icon_smile.gif

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:41pm
post #19 of 67

I'll go against the grain and say, Wilton fondant is edible. It's really chewy, kinda hard to roll thin, so you get big mouthfuls of it icon_smile.gif To me, it is sweet, just has a weird texture. It isn't *BAD*, it just is not good (and cake should be--if anything--GOOD!) I prefer MMF to it (and I honestly don't really love that either). I haven't tried Satin Ice, but hear good things. Also, haven't tried homemade fondant, think it has to be better!

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:49pm
post #20 of 67

I too would recommend Satin Ice over Wilton.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:50pm
post #21 of 67

My almost 2 yr old ds who will eat ANYTHING (including sand and dirt outside if he could), spit it out, and tried feeding to the dogs, who wouldnt eat it either.

trishthedish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishthedish Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #22 of 67

to me it tastes like sweetened homemade play dough, i make mmf for my base cake and only use wilton for decorations. just a tip, i use the mmf recipe i found here on cc and it always turns out pretty good, always sift your sugar, grease your hands and bowls. i wrap mine in just saran wrap and let sit out at room temp for at least 24 hrs to set. it is more elasticky (sp?) than regular fondant but it tastes way better. i have heard nothing but good things about satin ice but have yet to try it myself

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #23 of 67

I am still new to this whole cake design/decorating thing but I read on the forum how people felt about the Wilton fondant. I used it to mould figures for my son's Birthday cake. When it came time to cover the cake I used "Choco Pan" and it is really nice. I had tons of people asking what the cake was frosted in! The little kids liked eating the figures I made out of the Wilton fondant, but they are all around 2 -5 years old and do not mind eating play doh, dirt and glue so they are probly not the best critic's!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #24 of 67

I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard bad things even from the people at the cake decorating store locally who actually sell it. I'm guessing that isn't good.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #25 of 67

'Craptastic'.....OMG! I am dying laughing right now...Wilton fondant tastes so terrible but I find if I use the 50% off coupon, it works good for details, flowers and all that stuff that people won't really eat, ya know?

I am dying to buy the Satin Ice from GSA but just can't get past the $50 for 20 lbs when I can make the MMF for about $1.20 per pound. Even thought I heard the Satin Ice works fabulously, I just need to make the MMF work due to money constraints. icon_cry.gif total bummer.........

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #26 of 67

Wilton fondant is great to work with however I do not like the flavor. I do purchase satin ice which is just as easy to work with yet tastes good to me. However, I found that no matter which fondant I use, people just do not eat fondant. They immediately peel it off.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #27 of 67

It's really horrible tapedshut.gif , you can taste better plastic out there!!! LOL, I used it before intil I discovered Satin Ice, and I'm not going back EVER!!! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #28 of 67

I remember reading a story about Wilton fondant on another message board some years back.

A gal had stored some decorated dummies in the shed for a while, and when she went out to get them she fund that ants had broken in and robbed her. They had carted away all the RI and GP decorations and every morsel of fondant......

except the cakes made with Wilton fondant and decorations made with Wilton. They left anything that had been made from Wilton fondant.

So now we REALLY know how icky it is. Even the ants left it behind.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 26 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #29 of 67

wow i guess i wont be buying wilton fondant! icon_lol.gif thanks for all your opinions!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #30 of 67

twistedsplinters......Global Sugar Art or Into the Oven are both reliable sourses for Satin Ice fondant.....go on line and order....a little expensive but well worth the extra $$$, taste and handling.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%