Cake With Gems?

Decorating By SugarplumStudio Updated 26 May 2008 , 12:49pm by bethola

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:53am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!

I've been booked to make a cake for a 1st birthday next month, 50-75 people, TBC later. Family friend, so I discounted the price. My first mistake, I know LOL I'm expecting and due in September, so I didn't take on any freelance for the summer. This is a total favor and since I'm taking it easy, I agreed to do this one.

At first Mom wanted something super girlie, but age appropriate, so I was going to a floral/butterfly/ladybug theme. Now Mom has added that daughter's initials are GEM and she is their 'gem', so she'd like something in that theme, but still super girlie.

Keeping in mind that this is for a 1 year old and the price is static, what the heck can I do? I was thinking candy bracelets and ring pops? A jewelry box?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 7

The first thing that comes to mind, are the pretty gem stones that I see on a lot of cakes. But then I think probably too expensive and to adult for a one year old. Sorry I can't help you, but it does sound like a really cute idea.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 7

You could get a gem candy mold and use fondant in it, then paint the fondant gems with a mix of vodka and pearl dust.

I saw a silicone (I think) ice cube tray that made large gem shapes, in the $1 section at Target yesterday.

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 7

What about the cheapie costume jewelry you get at big stores or dollar stores. You could use that some way?

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 7

I picked up a gem mold in the candy makig section of Hobby Lobby. haven't tried it yet though.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 7

How about some of those really glittery monograms ? Or get plain ones and glue the "gems" ( from the craft store ) on them..... Of course not edible, but most toppers are not.....

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpam

I picked up a gem mold in the candy makig section of Hobby Lobby. haven't tried it yet though.

I have those molds and have used them. Don't know how much time you want to invest, BUT, if you do poured sugar they are great! I mixed my color AND some pearl shimmer dust into the hot sugar. They made great gems!

I like the silicone ice cube tray idea! NO TARGET in my area!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%