Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By melincali Updated 26 May 2008 , 3:14am by KrisD13

melincali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melincali Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:21am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone icon_biggrin.gif . Newbie here. I've been admiring everyone's pics thumbs_up.gif and collecting recipes but this is my first post. Anyway, I want to start making more gum paste flowers. I have the Wilton gp flower-making kit but I would like to learn more flowers. Does anyone have any suggestions on other kits I could buy or websites that sell supplies?(Trying to do it on the cheap!)I've been looking at Jem cutter sets but I wonder if they come with a book?(They seem to be the most for my money)Thought there would be a lot on ebay but not really. Also, my flowers seem to slide off the wires, is there a certain brand of wire that is better than others?Has anyone ever tried gumpaste other than Wilton brand and if so is there a big difference?Can pearl/petal dust be bought in a variety pack?I've just been using Wilton pearl dust so far. Does anyone use chalk to color their flowers?(Dusts are so expensive)Sorry so many questions, but any tips, hints, or websites you can refer me to would be much appreciated!Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
CakeMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommie Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

Jem cutters are pretty durable and usually come with instructions. You're probably using too much glue if your flowers are sliding off the wire. I either use Satin Ice or I make my own gumpaste. Try going to cakedeco.com for variety packs.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5

Talk to JenniferMI..She is a master in gumpaste flowers!...and a teacher

melincali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melincali Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:45am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both!! thumbs_up.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 5

It also helps to put a loop on the end of the wire. icon_biggrin.gif