Is Glace Used On Cupcakes?

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 26 May 2008 , 11:35am by Kahuna

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 25 May 2008 , 11:10am
post #1 of 4

Not really sure what it is but I saw Toba's name and quickly saved it!! Is this what they use when they swirl the top of the cupcakes and it's nice and smooth and shiny or is that something else?? We're off to church soon but will check back soon! Thanks.


3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #2 of 4

Glace is a thin icing for cookies. It doesn't dry as hard as royal.

Poured fondant or other thin icings, can be used on cupcakes. The are usually smooth on the cake.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:57am
post #3 of 4

Glace is a really popular cake icing in Europe and Austrailia. It's basically "bundt cake" icing. Its shiny and crusts up, but it's still soft and silky. It's best on dense, richer cakes. It doesn't work as well on lighter chiffon style cakes. You run the risk of the glace soaking into the cake and sogging it up.

(from one of my import cake decor/cookbooks)
185g (6oz) sifted icing sugar
1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
4-8 teaspoons milk or water

Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the butter and milk to make a thick paste. Colour the icing at this stage as desired. Warm slightly in a microwave or by standing the bowl in a pan of hot water until thick and pourable. Pour immediately while warm to prevent crusting. Makes enough to cover one 9in round cake.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:35am
post #4 of 4

O.K. thanks for clearing it up. So it's poured fondant that they put in a bowl and then dip the top of the cupcake? I think it's a really neat look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%