Sinking Cupcake(Need Help With The Baking)!

Decorating By WandyS Updated 24 May 2008 , 11:38pm by dillonsmimi

WandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WandyS Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 4

HI there! I love to make cupcakes, they are almost bite size and my two daughters just loves them. I have noticed that when they are inside the oven they rise and look soooo perfect, but as soon as they come out of the oven they start sinking. What am I doing wrong?
Why do they sink, is it something missing in the batter or do I need a technique to take them out the oven? Please help me!!! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
dillonsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillonsmimi Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #2 of 4

I would need to see the recipe in order to form an answer. Maybe you are beating too much air into the batter, then place your product into a hot oven, heat makes air rise, then leaveners kick in and give you a nice dome. As the party comes to an end the air leaves to go have breakfast and since you have more air than your flour can hold onto...flat cuppies. Just my uneducated guess.

WandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WandyS Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 4

That makes a lot of sense. I have also the idea that is could be undercooked. Not all ovens are the same, right?

dillonsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillonsmimi Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 4

Funny you should ask. My oven quit working last fall and I replaced it with a model that had a "speed bake" option. I was overcooking everything. Got an oven thermometer and the oven temp was right on. I was just so used to things baking a little slower. This is how I check for doneness. First I notice the smell and check the clock/timer, take a peek thru window. Try not to open the door unless cake is brown and pulling from sides. Then I will open oven door and lightly touch cake in 2-3 places, looking for the cake to lightly spring back. If the cake passes that test, insert a wooden skewar in middle, looking for a few moist crumbs. If the raw batter is all I find, back in the oven for 4-5 min. I don't like metal "cake testers". I find that all too often the skewar comes out completly clean and when the cake is cut the cake is gummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%