Different Buttercream

Decorating By bevyd Updated 24 May 2008 , 9:41pm by bevyd

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 13

This is a general question re:Buttercream. Do you make a different batch for your roses or do you use the same batch that you frost your cake with?First of all my roses are ok(I am still trying to make them look better not so much like a cabbage) and I was just wondering should I be using a different type of buttercream .All suggestions are welcome. Thanks Bevyd.

12 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 13

I do not know which recipe you use for your icing, but some decorators use what they call Decorator's Buttercream. I have seen a couple of different recipes for this, but they are all related to crusting BC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 13

I know that Toba's decorator's BC is a good one for piping roses. I think it's in the recipes section.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 13

I feel your pain. I can make heckuva cabbage. LOLOL If I ever get a call for coleslaw ckae I'll be all set. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:24am
post #5 of 13

Mike -

Coleslaw cake? Good one! I like that thumbs_up.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:33am
post #6 of 13

You can use the same bc but just use recipe for stiff for roses

AmazingGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmazingGraceCakes Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #7 of 13

I use the same buttercream for frosting( med. consistency) roses (stiff consistency). Faux Fondant, you can google it for the recipe. I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:40am
post #8 of 13

I don't know if this will help, but we were told to use a stiff consistency for roses where as icing the cake is more of a medium consistency. The main thing to is practice but I am still not happy with mine sometimes!
Also, that cabbage comes in quite handy when your son wants a farm cake! You can have a crop of cabbage!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
HTH
Heidi

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #9 of 13

cabbage? So that's what I've been making! icon_lol.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #10 of 13

He He, at least you all can make cabbage...I can only make what looks like swirls (think turd, lol)

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #11 of 13

You can add me to list of cabbages! No matter what I do I can not get my roses to look like roses ( unless I'm making mini ones)

I guess we all just need to keep praticing.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:09am
post #12 of 13

i use the same, just increase the p.sugar.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks a lot for the tips, I am going to be sure and set some of the bc aside and add a little bit more ps and take it from there. To my fellow cabbage makers thanks for the shout out icon_smile.gif.Hey maybe its time for a new throwdown--cabbage!LOL @mandica12182 keep practicing you never know, you might end up in our club. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%