Wilton Course I

Decorating By Wesha Updated 24 May 2008 , 12:47am by bgallay

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #1 of 12

Hello,

I am taking the Wilton Course 1 in cake decorating at Michaels in June. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to be taught and please share your experiences when you took course one.

11 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 12

I just recently took the course. In my class, and from what I have heard it can depend or your teacher, I was taught how to ice a cake, basic piping techniques (vines, writing, balls etc.) We also learned how to make some flowers (drop flowers, sweet peas and roses) bows, hearts and some other things. I learned a lot of great basics and had some fun. HTH

Amber

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 12

I took course 1 & 2 from the same teacher and decided to switch for course 3. Believe me, the teacher makes all the difference.

Even though I knew the basics I loved the classes. Have fun!

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 12

thanks for the response. Are you going to take the rest of the classes as well?

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #5 of 12

I want to take the fondant and gum paste course and maybe the tiered cake one. I probably am going to skip course 2, but I am also working with a pastry chef at the moment who is helping me out. Just been waiting to have time to actually take the courses.

Afarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afarren Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #6 of 12

I have taken course I and II Really enjoyed them both. My teacher was really laid back so it was great to be able to do what we wanted... I am still debating about taking the third class?

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:45am
post #7 of 12

Yup, stsapph pretty much nailed what you learn in Course I. As a Wilton instructor, I can tell you that stsapph got it right. You learn the basics of baking and icing a cake, how to make buttercream, what types of piping bags, all the way through Flower nail roses, shell borders, and drop flowers. It is a fun class! icon_smile.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:45am
post #8 of 12

i took all 4 courses and am planning on taking some more if she offers any more. i definitely think the size of the class makes a difference. the last class i took there were only about 5-6 of us and it was more 1 on 1 and learned alot more. course 1 was jam packed. i still enjoyed it and got lots of motivation and ideas. i think they are worth it especially for the money. i think no matter how many classes you take, practice is essential. hope this helps

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:37am
post #9 of 12

i took course 2 and i was very disappointed. i knew more than the teacher. icon_sad.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 23 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i took course 2 and i was very disappointed. i knew more than the teacher. icon_sad.gif

Course 2 is not my favorite to teach for some reason, it's fun but not my favorite. I struggle with it almost every time.

I know the flowers, I can do them but I am always a nervous wreck when I have to teach Course 2.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 12

I start course 1 this June also! icon_biggrin.gif

I have taken a course thru my city's parks and rec department,last year.
It was 8 classes and really enjoyed it. It was all just piping skills and am looking forward to Wilton's to give me more practise(as my piping sucks icon_cry.gif ) and information on all aspects. Of course a FUN nite out too!

Nancy

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:47am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

Course 2 is not my favorite to teach for some reason, it's fun but not my favorite. I struggle with it almost every time.

I know the flowers, I can do them but I am always a nervous wreck when I have to teach Course 2.

See... I love teaching course II. I am in the middle of one now and can't wait until next week to do pansies, daffodils etc...

I am not fond of the 2nd night of course III. that's the nightmare night!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%