Making The Transition To Wedding Cakes...

Decorating By ANicole Updated 21 May 2008 , 6:51pm by ccr03

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #1 of 2

I am FINALLY feeling ready to start doing some wedding cakes after my first and only wedding cake, which was a disaster, which I did for my aunt on 3 days' notice when I had only been decorating cakes for a few months. I know, I know....

And I'm finally not nauseous anymore when smelling BC (I'm over my first trimester of my pregnancy). And I'm feeling creative and liking baking again! Yay!

So I want to build a portfolio. I get a lot of calls for wedding cakes and I tell people that since I'm a new bakery, we're not taking orders until next year. (That is really cuz I've been scared - but don't tell!)

What I'd like to do is make some dummy wedding cakes to have a little bit of a portfolio and get some practice. Here's what I need help on --

1. I need a good dummy frosting recipe. I don't want to spend a ton of $ on dummy frosting. Same for fondant. If these exist even...?

2. I should start thinking about contracts I suppose. Any advice on where to begin?

3. Is there anything else I need to know that you experienced wedding cake bakers could tell me?

Thank you so much in advance!!! I'm excited to get started on some dummy cakes!

Amber

1 reply
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%