Help I'm Stuck On A Power Pole!!

Decorating By tirby Updated 1 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm by tirby

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 50

I have a request for a power pole with a lineman. This cake NEEDS to be AWSOME! I am a bit stuck but here are my thoughts
A pvc pipe for a center core? but what size? and then cake core out hole for pipe maybe 6" rounds for the pole itself? HELP thats all I got. I still need transformers on the pole maybe 2 poles and a few wires between? How do I secure them to a board? or should I go a different route?

I cant find a cake like it at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOUG are you out there!!?? some one.....

49 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 50

how's this?

NOT TO SCALE!

main cake -- the base which looks like road and grass on 3/4 in plywood base

attached where you want pole to be -- a pvc pipe flange and then a pole of PVC

OR --- use large wood spindle (like used in banisters for stairs or similar) and counter sink it into plywood -- glue and screw into base.

then near the top....

2 metal " L " brackets screwed to upright pole. get ones at least 1" wide

two wood or masonite round cake plates screwed to them (suggest 6" diameter)

then the transformers make from two cakes (at least 3 or 4 layers) on the cake plates -- can add a dowel that is screwed to cake plates/bracket for extra stability

add little utility truck personalized to his company (can be all cake) and the bucket arm (bent metal -easiest - or wood pieces) and the little bucket (could be cake too) and then the little lineman (a weeble wobble toy???)

by adjusting size of base and transformers and truck can get most any # of servings.

hope this helps and if you do it -- pics are a MUST!
LL
LL

tirby Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 50

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I will get some of the details started now (like buying stuff) The cake is due on June 28th so I have time.
Any suggestions on what to cover the PVC so it looks like a pole? Candy clay?

Doug Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 50

choco pan or chocolate candy clay would be ever so delightful.

(I'd be standing there picking it off the pole to eat instead of the eating the cake!)

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 50

Wow this is an awesome tutorial Doug!!!

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 50

Forget Superman, Doug's a real hero.

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 50

Tirby

Please , please, please post the picture when you complete it. It sounds exciting !!!!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 50

Hey Doug! You like totally ROCK, man!!!!!!! icon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 50

OMG, Doug is insanely talented. Just had to say.

tirby Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 50

Doug, are you sure you arent a guardian angel?
You are always there to save us (ME) in the nick of time!
I PROMISS to post a picture. And I do agree Doug is very talanted.... BUT more than that he is very generous, not everyone is willing to share how they do things. and it is for that reason I think I say for all of us. Thank you..... Makes you wonder if he was a teacher?!?!?!?!?!?

Doug Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirby

Makes you wonder if he was a teacher?!?!?!?!?!?

was? IS! 32 years and counting (doesn't my gray hair and slightly crazed look give it away?!?!)

tirby Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

Makes you wonder if he was a teacher?!?!?!?!?!?

was? IS! 32 years and counting (doesn't my gray hair and slightly crazed look give it away?!?!)

I know that you're a teacher and it shows...... Kindness and "The LOOK" icon_smile.gif

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:12am
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

choco pan or chocolate candy clay would be ever so delightful.

(I'd be standing there picking it off the pole to eat instead of the eating the cake!)

I covered my tree stump (I used the pvc pipe & attached to the board with the flange - worked great) with choc fondant and I must say it was pretty embarrasing without the leaves icon_redface.gif

Let's just say it looked like a giant ........ I almost didn't take the cake to grandma because it seemed kinda wrong.

End result it was an awesome cake, everyone loved it - especially the guys, they couldn't keep their comments to themselves.

Barb

tirby Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #14 of 50

For those interested... I have started on the cake and am VERY excited...I have a few steps done and will try to post pictures and remember I've never made people before. SO charge on them is ?????
Because of the amount of actual cake needed we are going with gumpaste transformer and cake for the truck and a 14" square under for the base cake.

Ok thats enough for now.I have spent about 8 hours so far because like I said a newbie at the people. The cones (did I attatch the photo?) were simply fondant pushed into a greased piping tip and then a square of fondant for the base. I will be adding a white reflective stripe. The caps. I used a ball tool for the shaping. and the size was measured with a tip on the heads. Thanks Doug for getting me started. I am so glad you sparked the brain!!!!! YOUR AWSOME!!! (and appreciated)
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Reedsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reedsmomma Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 50

Whoa! Great job! I can't believe you've never made a person - they look awesome! Can't wait to see it all put together!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 50

holy moly! i can't wait to see the finished product.. so far its looking amazing... are you sure you've NEVER done figures before?? you'd never know it!

tirby Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #17 of 50

You guys are to nice. Well if you look you can tell I've never done them. Most men that work hard (like lineman) dont have a flat chest. haha I need a tutorial on the bodies like there are for faces...Anyone????

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:32pm
post #18 of 50

I am stunned. Not only by the men who turned-out GREAT, but everything I've seen so far, all the detail work & that bucket with the bending arm (or whatever it's called)... SO awesome!!! You are very talented!

Also - to Doug - I see you saving people all the time with your ideas or by providing instructions. I have taken your suggestions to use with other cakes, and even from this forum topic, I will be using your instructions when I make a future cake. Thank you!

This forum topic has me excited & wishing I knew a lineman to try to make this for =)

Doug Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:25pm
post #19 of 50

very, very impressive!!!

looking forward to seeing the finished masterpiece.

tirby Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 50

I will have it done for the weedend. Still debating on if I need more details. But I didn't get any extra for the people because I didn't even know if I could do them. So she did get 30-40 $$ for a freebie!! But I had enough fun that I dont really care!

And I promiss to post a picture!!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #21 of 50

Looks fabulous! Can't wait to see the finished product!

tirby, you rock!

Doug, thank you for always sharing! You know you rock too!!!!!

tirby Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #22 of 50

I HAD to I couldn't HELP myself..I think it's a DISEASE!! I had to make some tools for the man on the power pole. Gloves and pliers and a pair of big cutters and a screwdriver... So I'll post a picture had to share. I'll start on the cake itself tomorrow.
LL
LL
LL

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #23 of 50

AMAZING!!!!!!!! It's lookin great! I love the tools, it adds so much!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #24 of 50

SO AWESOME!!! =) I'm laughing because that's some incredible detail work you have there! Wow!

butterflywings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #25 of 50

ok... now i'm convinced you're fibbin'... either you've done this before or you are just incredibly talented!!! personally, i think it's both!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #26 of 50

Wow! It is coming together very well. Love all the details you made on the figures. Can't wait to see your finished cake!

tirby Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

ok... now i'm convinced you're fibbin'... either you've done this before or you are just incredibly talented!!! personally, i think it's both!

Fibber NOT!!! NO I do love this art and I honestly have not done it before. like I said I need a body tutorial the hands look funny and the shoulders are very square...Good thing its a guy!lol

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #28 of 50

This is great! I'm keeping an eye on this cake because DH works for the power company and they order all their cakes from me!
Something like this would be a big hit!
Can't wait to see the finished product!

butterflywings Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:57pm
post #29 of 50
Quote:

Quote:

Fibber NOT!!! NO I do love this art and I honestly have not done it before. like I said I need a body tutorial the hands look funny and the shoulders are very square...Good thing its a guy!lol

i'm just giving you a hard time... i think you're a natural! i can't wait to see the finished product!

tirby Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:28pm
post #30 of 50
Quote:

i'm just giving you a hard time... i think you're a natural! i can't wait to see the finished product!

Oh I know....
This is where the "I'm doing it because I LOVE it" comes in, and the how much do you charge for it is crushed. I quoted $70 for this cake....I know you don't have to tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems like I always underestimate the time it takes and the skill God has helped me with..... BUT I do love it.

So when I post tell me what YOU would have charged an old classmate for this cake... and then Just curious but how many of you used the Matrix on here to get the price or cake boss. And DOUG I know you did it the hard way..... MATH!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%