How Many Husbands Help/work With Your Cakes?

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm by lisa78332

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #31 of 135

Oh yes, he also buys supplies and tries to be available for deliveries of new customers/strangers.

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #32 of 135

My husband couldn't be more supportive. He is an expert at making frosting, cutting dowels and making sure things are level, delivers and carries in every large cake I've ever had. I really don't want to think about what it would be like if he wasn't so supportive. I am a LUCKY girl.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #33 of 135

My DH is so supportive of me. He always helps me with deliveries as well as taking pictures of the cake. He's the photographer in the family even though he bought me a new camera for Mother's Day! He's there with "constructive criticism" as well as much praise especially on the taste of cakes.
Leslie

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #34 of 135

My husband helps me all the time. He carries the heavy ones, cuts my boards, builds structures, kneads fondant, runs to the store to grab an ingredient I forgot. And of course, he supports me 100% and motivates me when I get frustrated on one.

And he eats the scraps and does "quality control." icon_biggrin.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #35 of 135

I guess I should add that mine takes pictures, too. But then again, photography is his hobby, so him taking cake pictures kind of combines our hobbies.

I have nerve damage in my hands also, so when they hurt from intricate decorating, he ices them down and massages my wrists and hands.

He gets his feelings hurt when people give me all the credit for cakes. So I jump in and say, "We BOTH did it!"

With everything that he does for me, I should go out on his photography expeditions more often and help him out. Bad wifey, bad!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #36 of 135

My hubby LOVES helping! I don't know what I would do w/o him...especially w/ my last cake! He even wants to learn how to make gp flowers! I told him we need ot learn togther. icon_wink.gif We made so much of the WASC choc version this past weekend, he knows the recipe by heart! icon_lol.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #37 of 135

My hubby is the "go-fer", the test taster for new creations, company keeper on the late, long nights, occasional decorator, engineer and most importantly the deliverer!!!!. icon_smile.gif And how can I forget...the photographer!!!! He's great and very supportive of my cake baking.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #38 of 135

my hubby does my baking for me...i hate that part of it. so he does it for me. he has actually become quite the baker. he gets excited to try new things!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #39 of 135

My husband is great! He never complains if I need (or want) a new cake playpurty! He cuts boxes or whatever I need help with in that area. He has a blazer and I have a car so we have to take his blazer whenever I take a cake somewhere because it has a flat surface in the back, so therefore he is very sympthetic because I get very quiet and tense until I get to the destination, then I can breathe!! lol He helps with design ideas, doesn't complain when the kitchen is "out of sorts" with powdered sugar and when there are grease laden utentils everwhere. He's very supportive because he knows how much cake decorating means to me.

Cheryl1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheryl1959 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #40 of 135

My husband's official title is "Chief Logistics Officer". He is the one who helps me figure out which board is best, how we are going to pack, store and transport the cakes.

He, of course, is great at offering his advice on a design and tasting the scraps. But he is also my greatest cheerleader and a terrific go-fer when I get in a pinch.

Wouldn't trade him for anyone or anything!

nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:09pm
post #41 of 135

My husband is great, I always overload myself from teaching classes, playing sports, working 2 jobs and my husband will bake my cakes, make my frosting. He's even helping me learn to airbrush. I think he loves it as much as me. He's helped me make fondant figures and so much more. That could never repay him. He's even cleaned the kitchen to help out! Good thing Father's Day is coming up. I almost felt I needed to make him a cake for everything he had done. ALL THE MEN THAT HELP US LADIES IN THE KITCHEN I GIVE YOU A BIG THUMBS UP thumbs_up.gifbirthday.gif

Nicki

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:12pm
post #42 of 135

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!! Hearing about all the great guys out there is wonderful.

My DH helps by insisting he do all dishes. He gets mad when I try to clean since that is his territory (only thing he thinks he knows how to do in the kitchen). He also eats my cakes, praises me, rubs my back, holds my son close by so they can both watch me work, takes pictures, gives support, ummm I am sure I am forgetting more. I have such a great guy!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #43 of 135

I have to say, mine is pretty great too! He is an artist and has done plenty of claymation so he does all my fondant work for me (I charge extra for fondant and the $ goes straight to him). This made for a strange situation when the last fondant cake I did was a naughty cake for a bachelorette party!! He was weirded out at first, but did the naughty part over twice because it didn't look realistic enough for him!

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #44 of 135

My husband is an angel he always helps me , he specially likes making the design for me, he is the one with the ideas and I execute them, he is a great help, I could not do it without him icon_biggrin.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #45 of 135

My DH is also wonderful!! He has become quite skilled at making my buttercream icing. Plus he is always there to give me a compliment or to offer advise when he sees 'that look' on my face.

He also pitches in to help clean up, load or unload the dishwasher and is great at washing all those cake pans!

All I have to do is ask and he is always willing to help and to encourage! He is my biggest fan! AND I do tell him that I love him every day!

Thanks for starting this thread -- it's been a great, heartwarming read this afternoon.

Suze

pood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pood Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #46 of 135

My sweet husband and I have been married for 33 wonderful years. During that time he has supported me in every adventure I became involved in. Cakes and cookie baking have been no exception. He picks up supplies for me, taste tests my creations, evaluates my designs and offers excellent advice. He is my official food photographer. He delivers large and small orders. He carries the heavy cakes and is soooo careful with them. He also washes dishes for me and never complains when every counter and table are covered with baking items! He is the World's Best Husband and the Lord has truly blessed me with him!

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #47 of 135

I love this thread! I need to show it to my DH.

My DH has been my biggest support. He has pushed me to take the classes. If I had not have met and married him I would just be dreaming of taking the courses. He gets whatever supplies I need. He helps keep my DS out of the way. He gives me a hard time saying I spend more time on cakes than him and our DS. But he likes to give me a hard time. He wouldn't trade me doing cakes for nothing.
When I really start making a lot (still kindof new to it) he's going to make me some boards. He gives me ideas, like how is an easier way to fill my bags without the stand you can buy. He knows how to tell me the truth without breaking my spirits. He just supports me!

Oh yeah, he bought me a KA mixer!!!

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #48 of 135

My husband is AWESOME!!!! thumbs_up.gif He cuts cakeboards for me, he is in charge of levelling all my cakes (he's better than I am), and he is the construction expert (He takes care of all the internal supports in my stacked cakes). You should have seen him working on my brother's wedding cake! He goes to every major cake delivery & helps me set up. he carries all the heavy stuff and he is ALWAYS having to run to the store for me.
AND, my SON is a great baker. He has probably baked 1/2 of all the cakes I have decorated. He is not too bad at making buttercream icing either.
Basically, I just decorate them. icon_confused.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #49 of 135

My husband cleans the kitchen and washes the dishes - I don't do dishes. I could literally use every dish in the kitchen and cover all surfaces and he would turn on the tv and clean everything - except the mat you roll fondant on. Gotta love that icon_smile.gif In general he will do anything else I ask of him. The problem is it can't be much! Someone said they asked their DH to fill a bag and it was a mess.... I made the same mistake on Sunday with the same results. He can go to the store to pick up one or two items but that's it. He is very supportive and ATTEMPTS to say awake and keep me company. His man roll is to remind me that I have cakes due. When I try to pay him he never wants the money - he will let me pay for golf though.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #50 of 135

My DH is a big help (when he's not travelling). He watches the kids while I'm at the bakery! He doesn't touch the baking/decorating. That's okay because he would rather watch paint dry than cook/bake, and I would rather have a root canal than have a helper (I'm a loner in the kitchen).

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #51 of 135

My husband is so gosh darn creative. He designs almost all of my artwork for the business side of my business, he makes my cookie cutters (deigns them too), he carves my cake, he likes to smooth my icing (i cant seem to do it to save my life) and he enjoys helping me create new flavors.

I dont think I could do a whole lot if I didnt have him to help, love and support me.

icon_wink.gif

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:05pm
post #52 of 135

My husband helps quite a bit. He is "in charge" of research and development. As I try new cakes he eats them! I tell people he is twice the man he was when I married him because of that! icon_lol.gif

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #53 of 135

Lollol, you all have such great hubby's... mine helps by staying out of the way and not complaining when my projects take over every available surface. He hates sweets, so he won't taste test, and doesn't do any dishes unless it's a special occasion, but it works out, lol.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #54 of 135

Wow! I'm actually surprised at the number of replies with positive comments. Maybe it's just me but I don't want any help and don't want anyone in the kitchen when I'm decorating at all. It makes me too frustrated. My husband will cut wooden cake boards for me and help carry heavy cakes but that's it. I'm sure if I wanted help, he'd be there though.

KimAZ

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #55 of 135

yeah...mine helps...he eats the cake scraps! icon_biggrin.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #56 of 135

When we do wedding cakes or big orders he does about 1/3 of the work. Especially the clean up. But, he's put Fondant on the cakes, levels them, frost them, a lot of input on design.

The problem I have is he thinks he's the boss and tells me how to do the cakes. He has watched Cake videos with me and now he thinks he knows everything.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #57 of 135

mine tells me my cakes are all good.. so I think he is partial.. even when I know they are bad he tells me they are good.. so not such a good thing BUT .. he is a sweetheart!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:46am
post #58 of 135

Mine is supportive ... my biggest cheerleader (now!) ..... but loudly proclaims that he will never work FOR me! He stays out of my way, not coming near the shop during production time (trust me, that IS a big help!).

He wants to learn fondant, though, since I don't do that. I think he doesn't want to set up a "competitiveness" between us ... I'll do the BC and he'll do the fondant .... which I think is so considerate of him, not wanting to be in the same arena with each other, because we'd probably kill each other by trying to outdo each other! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:41am
post #59 of 135

My DH has helped me in sooo many ways! From helping me carve cakes, to listening to me drone on about designs, to even going out and finding a lost client as she wandered the streets to pick up their cake. He helps me figure out support systems, and drove me to OSAS. He is so sweet to help-I just wish I could help him with his work! He is a software architect, so I don't think that will be happening!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #60 of 135

I couldn't do alot of things that I do if it weren't for my husband. He helps so much with support issues and always has a critical eye and helps me strive to improve.

I couldn't have even done my latest cake- the Ga Tech Ramblin Wreck cake- without him.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%