I Made An Instruction Sheet For A Crooked Cake!!!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 4:42am by SoFloGuy

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 132

My friend's mom asked me how to make a crooked cake, so I drew this up for her. Thought I'd share it with all of you:
LL
LL

131 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:48am
post #2 of 132

I'm locking this thread by request of Sarsi.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 132

Sarsi has asked that this be unlocked in case you have questions, you can ask them here instead PMing.

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 132

Is there a way to make the instructions & diagrams bigger please? I can't read them, nor print them bigger.

Sarsi Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 132

If you click on it, it will open in another window. Drag your mouse over the picture, and your curser will turn into a magnifying glass....click again.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 132

Thanks so very much for the instruction sheet. The only question I have at this point is: If one uses Masonite board as their cake board, would you still have to put another board on top in order for the dowel to be secured, or would the cake be secure enough with the dowels going through the baked batter? Is there another way to secure the cakes in addition to this? Can you tell that I have not "purposely" made a crooked cake prior to now? icon_lol.gif

Sarsi Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 132

haha lutie!! icon_biggrin.gif I have made a cake like this and had it sitting on a glass plate. It was four tiers high. I didn't have a cardboard piece between the two, and it worked fine. Drove 40 miles with it on my lap and it worked. I did glue the cake to the plate with frosting though, so I think that helped.

I think doing it this way is kinda at your own risk...
I don't really know of any other way to secure the cake, I've added two dowels before just because I wanted to feel safe about it. Also, there's an article here on cc about a different way to make a crooked cake as well...but, I've never had a problem doing it this way

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 132

Sarsi, Thank you! I mean to try this this summer and these will be very helpful.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 25 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 132

Thanks Sarsi,

I haven't gotten the nerve up to do one but now maybe I will.

sweetsbystephanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystephanie Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #10 of 132

Thanks Sarsi!!!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 132

Thank you, your method makes sense and is not as intimidating to me as the carving method. This I will actually do icon_biggrin.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #12 of 132

Thanks Sarsi.

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #13 of 132

Thanks so much! I have been wanting to try one of these, but it looks so DIFFICULT! Thanks for making it look easy! icon_biggrin.gif

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:54am
post #14 of 132

Thanks Sarsi, I'm going to have to give this a try.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #15 of 132

Wow Thanks...I am so scared of it falling...but I am going to try it!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #16 of 132

I agree, this doesn't look nearly as difficult as the carving method. In a book I have, it is closer to this method, and just mentions keeping your center of gravity in the center. This looks like it should do exactly that, the way the angles are opposite. I can't wait to try! I wonder if there's anyone who has done both methods who can give pros and cons?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #17 of 132

Thank You for the info

Molly2

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #18 of 132

Sarsi, Thanks for the Instruction Sheet. I think I will give give it a try too.

Sarsi Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:28pm
post #19 of 132

Actually, I have done both ways...

With the carving method...it is a PAIN to cut the whole the right size to set your smaller tier in...You have to figure in the buttercream and the fondant, so the hole has to be a little larger than the actual cake... Also, I have a hard time applying crumb coat to the carved area on top..its so thin and flimsy... What I DID like about it, is that it seems much more stable. since each layer is sitting flat... I still use this method for making crooked cakes if they have a slippery filling...

However, I really like the method above because it is SO much easier....I've never had a problem with it falling over or even look like it was going to....MUCH MUCH easier!!!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #20 of 132

THANKS!!! Those are great!

paojava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paojava Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:49pm
post #21 of 132

ok, since I am still REALLY new to this...you put 4 supports in the bottom layer, and then add the smaller layer, and then HAMMER a dowel through the top, and the cake board and into the bottom layer. With a hammer? That sounds CRAZY! But...I think I am going to have to try this! Hmmmm...husband's birthday is at the end of September...sounds like a great time to try this!

Sarsi Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #22 of 132

paojava..yes, that is correct! Make sure you sharpen the dowel that you're going to be hammering!!! Let me know how it turns out!!!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #23 of 132

Thanks for posting your instructions.

luvtink_2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvtink_2 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #24 of 132

Thanks Sarsi, I might be giving this a try next month! icon_smile.gif

LIFE1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LIFE1234 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #25 of 132

Thank you so much Sarsi! Your instructions are so easy to understand, I'm going to try it soon.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #26 of 132

Thanks so much for the instructions, I really want to try one of these. I want to make sure about the dowels in the bottom tier. Are they all cut to the same size or are they tapered to the exact height of the sloped cake. If they are all the same height won't some of the dowel show when the top tier is added. I hope this makes sense.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #27 of 132

Thank you Sarsi! I will actually try it made this way! So kind of you to share! icon_biggrin.gif

MamaLama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaLama Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #28 of 132

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you all know how it turns out. thumbs_up.gif

Sarsi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #29 of 132

Yes, please do let me know!!! I'd love to hear feedback!! icon_biggrin.gif

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #30 of 132

Thanks for the instructions. I made a 6 and 8 round this week-end and tried the procedure and found it quite easy but was wondering what is the largest cake you have tried this method on. I need to do a 6,8,10 stack for next month and am wondering will it hold up. I will have to travel 45 minutes by car to set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%