Stand Help

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 21 May 2008 , 2:01pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so I have a wedding cake coming up next weekend and I'm not real sure what to use as my cake stand. The cake is not going to be very big, a double layer 10,8, and 6in square ivory frosting with red gumpaste roses around all the sides of the cake. There is also going to be a round 9in grooms cake done in a golf theme. I would like for the wedding cake to be up off the table since it's not a huge cake, I just don't want people to miss it if that makes sense. I don't have any square wedding cake stands and the bride and I did not discuss what the cake would be set on. So far this bride seems to be ok with whatever I toss her way so I don't feel restrained in any way, other then its obviously a wedding. Does anyone have any nice suggestions to go with this cake? I have thought about putting the cake on a board wrapped in foil and then buying some small glass candle holders from wal mart and putting them at the corners but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for any help!!

7 replies
mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 8

What about setting it on a sturdy box, I've even heard of people using coke crates. Something that's sturdy enough to hold the cake, then draping a tablecloth over that and setting the cake on it. You could also use tulle to hide whatever you decided to set the cake on.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 8

There was a wedding cake posted here on CC a couple of weeks ago that was so beautiful and she had used square glass vases - one for each corner - with the clear marbles in bottom with water in the vases and a flower submerged in the water. I just love that cake! This would be a great, inexpensive idea for a cake stand.

Okay - I'm an idiot today and I can't figure out how to attach a photo from CC on the replys -- but the cake was posted by Tallmama -- you can do a member search to see her cake.

Also, the bride might could rent a silver plateau from a local company the specializes in renting wedding supplies.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 8

Do you have a Holly Lobby by you? They have tons of things that I could see as wedding cake pedistals (sp). If you find something there maybe the bride would be willing to buy it or you might like to have it for future cakes or you could rent it to her. Just an idea! icon_razz.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 8

Yep do like the other poster said, but the cake itself will still have to be sitting on something for transport. I would cut cardboards larger than the bottom cake (I would do 14" for this size) and wrap them in cake/craft foil (not just ugly old reynolds wrap) or cover in fondant.

TheCakerator Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 8

thanks you guys I will go check out a few places this week. I went to hobby lobby a few weeks ago and didn't find much in way of a square cake stand, but that is where I saw some glass candle holders. I wonder where I could get a crate at locally, maybe my dh can make me a stand out of wood. Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #7 of 8

I just purchased an antiqued white iron square plant stand from Hobby Lobby for about $15. Going to display wedding cake on it. About 10" in height & flowers, petals, greenery, or brides bouquet, etc. could be displayed underneath it. I luv it & am always looking for unusual & unique stands. Keep looking, you'll find something.

TheCakerator Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 8

thanks joy thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%