Wilton Ribbon Cutter And Embosser

Decorating By moralna Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 3:11pm by springlakecake

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 43

I am hoping some of my CC friends can give me some tips. I got the Wilton Ribbon Cutter and Embosser recently and was trying to use it to make a bow, but found it extremely hard to cut through the fondant and have nice edges. I used some shortening on the wheels as suggested in the direction, but still it did not cut nicely. I am now wondering whether this was a waste of money or perhaps some of you guys can offer me some tips on how to use it more effectively.
Thanks.

42 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 43

I'm having the same problems with mine. After cutting, I take my fingertip and smooth down the sides, flip it over and smooth again. This helps a little but my edges are still rough looking some. thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 43

Same here. I wondered if there was a better one out there.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 7:47am
post #4 of 43

I agree - I have one and it's hopeless, the edges are just too blunt to cut through nicely. PME do a better one which doesn't have a handle, but it does cut better. I am constantly amazed by the shoddiness of Wilton stuff (the tilting turntable that drops your cake for example). It seems such a very basic design flaw - yet we all still buy the stuff - why?!

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 9:35am
post #5 of 43

I just tried my cutter out for the first time today and experienced the same problems as above. My fondant was really thin, so the tool didn't cut through the MMF and the design barely pressed onto the fondant. I ended up using a pizza cutter to cut out the ribbons, and then used the roller over the strips to make the design more prominent.

I hope that someone out there can let us know the tricks to using this tool.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 10:21am
post #6 of 43

I agree it was a waste of my money. I thought it would work wonder for our fondant class. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif I was like what the H*** did I just was my money on. I have a few other wilton things that I was unhappy with. But I am not bashing Wilton just like what the hey. Why waste our money on things that don't work like they say. But you get that everywhere unfortunatly icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 43

I am glad to see that i am not the only one; i am going to return this product.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 43

I have one and it's a total waste of money. I purchased the multi ribbon cutter and it's the best investment I've made. I think it's made by FMM. I'll try to find a link and post it.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 43

I also thought I was the only one having problems with the cutting wheel. I had waited and stewed to get this. Then needed it for a cake with lots of fondant ribbons. I just thought it was me doing something wrong since I was in a hurry. Only problem is I'm stuck with it since it's too late to take it back. My old method of a pizza cutter and ruler was so much faster and cleaner cutting.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 43

Here's a link to the multi ribbon cutter I have http://beryls.safeshopper.com/45/6432.htm?253 It's the best thing I have for making bow loops and you can also use it to emboss the edges to look like stiching. There is a bow in my photos using it if you'l like to see the finished product. HTH

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 43

I think we all use Wilton because it is pretty much everywhere. Unless you have a cake shop close to home that will sell you things or the internet Wilton is pretty much the only choice. I am so excited because I ordered some things from Global the other day and they should be coming today YAY (I hope my DH isn't home when it is delivered)ha

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 43

I have to agree with everyone.....I thought it was just me too. I was very unhappy with it. I found the MMF had to be thicker than I wanted it for the pattern to show up just a little bit. It made me so frustrated! I would love to find a new one that actually works.

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 43

tiggy2 - how did you get the little curly q's on the light colored ribbons? With the same cutter?
And I LOVED your shoe!!!!!!

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladydi

tiggy2 - how did you get the little curly q's on the light colored ribbons? With the same cutter?
And I LOVED your shoe!!!!!!

The curly q's are done with a textured roller. It's the big purple textured rolling pin that wilton has. Thanks for nice comment on my shoe icon_biggrin.gif

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 43

Aww man, and this was the first thing I hadnt saved the packaging for so I can return too. I too thought it was something I was doing wrong. I had better luck with my dang dollar store pizza cutter!!! GRRR

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 43

Oh Great icon_confused.gif I just bought this thinking it would be great.....It may end up in the same place that Dam icing spreader thingy went when I couldn't get that to work either....The trash!! icon_mad.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Here's a link to the multi ribbon cutter I have http://beryls.safeshopper.com/45/6432.htm?253 It's the best thing I have for making bow loops and you can also use it to emboss the edges to look like stiching. There is a bow in my photos using it if you'l like to see the finished product. HTH

This is the one that I bought from my local cake supply store. I haven't used it yet but the woman that owns the store said that it is a MUST HAVE and that it has made her a lot of money. I took her word for it and bought it. Now, all I have to do is use it!!!

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 4:14pm
post #18 of 43

I bought mine a few weeks ago and the plain blade is working a little bit for me.It can cut the fondant but still the edges come out a little rough.But the other two,I have to press very hard for the design to transfer to the fondant and usually I end breaking it and starting again.I need to use it a few more times just to make sure if it deserve to go in the trash can.Or maybe keep it,dont know if it can have another use icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 43

Yes...I have seen this one..I believe it is from FMM OR PME.I guess I'll have to buy that one instead!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 6:09pm
post #20 of 43

I have the Wilton cutter/embosser, but I only use it for embossing. The cutting wheel is a piece of cr@p. I use my pizza wheel cutter for cutting my fondant.

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 43

I've heard this complaint before about the Wilton ribbon cutter. I have one and works very nicely cutting ribbons. I've use it on MMF and standard home-made fondant and got nice clean edges. I haven't tried it on commercial fondant yet. Never have tried the embossing wheels so I don't know how well they work.

Umm, I bought mine about 2.5 years ago. Was I just lucky or have they changed something.

Tammy

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 8:44pm
post #22 of 43

You must be real lucky because mine work worth a &%*#. I'm totally sold on the FMM multi ribbon cutter and wouldn't trade it for the world! It was a little pricy but worth every penny.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 6:25pm
post #23 of 43

Well,I used mine one more time.I thin it really is a piece of c***.I can only use the embosser.Thank God it wasnt that expensive.Bye,bye Wilton cutter.Pizza cutter,priceless!!!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 7:12pm
post #24 of 43

I'm glad i saw this thread as i was thinking of getting one of these wilton things with my next 40% Michael's coupon. Now I won't bother! I did order the JEM strip cutters from GlobalSugarArt.com as I'm tired of using a ruler and pizza cutter. They have the strip cutters in varying widths and if it's good enough for franrj, than it's good enough for me!! They are under $6 each and I can't wait for them to get here!!

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 7:23pm
post #25 of 43

I just bought one too and let me tell ya what a waste of cash. It is becoming a point for me just not to buy Wilton at all. One would think that for how many years they have been around they would know what the consumer wants... things that work as stated that are not of "junk" quality.

~~sorry about the rant... I am just really tired of wasting money on their stuff~~

I have to look for the packaging to return it. I ended up using my little dollar pizza cutter...

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #26 of 43

Yep, I have a wilton cutter too (bought it ages ago) and the same problems it doesn't cut cleanly (I have had to tidy up the edges of the fondant with a scapel - very time consuming) and the nut/screw thing on the end is a real pain - do it up tight and the cutter won't roll, do it up looser and it will roll but loosens itself and you have to keep adjusting it. thumbsdown.gif I haven't tried the embosser part yet.

I think theory/idea was there (something with a handle that you could just roll across the fondant quickly and easily) I just think the execution/construction of the thing is where it is lacking - needs to go back to the R&D department for further refinement or something.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 11:16pm
post #27 of 43

I started looking at a pasta cutter (multiple wheels) But can you believe they are like $60!!!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:32am
post #28 of 43

That stinks. Thanks for the info. I just bought one last week, haven't used it yet, so I will definitely return it.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:44am
post #29 of 43

I have the same problems! Wish I could help!

Beth in KY

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 5:50am
post #30 of 43

So glad I read this post. This was going to be my next purchase when Michaels puts out their 50% off coupon. I'll buy a new toy instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%