Need Simple Ideas

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 20 May 2008 , 3:43pm by CSMoore

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 8

I was asked to make a couple of "plain" sheet cakes for my son's school Summer Kickoff event on Wednesday (its just a fun all day event with a parents & faculty versus students kickball game, dunking booth, lunch, other fun activities). They have all eaten my cakes before and know they can be really pretty, but didn't want to ask me to do any real "work" on them since I'm donating them. The cakes are made (one chocolate, one french vanilla) and iced in a light (sky) blue BC (indydebi's). But they look TOO plain to me. I want to pipe some simple design on them, and was thinking I might mark them off by servings so that each piece will have a little deco on them. But I don't have a clue what I want to do. It's a Christian school (if that really makes a difference).

Just wanted to pick your brains and see what ideas y'all might have.

thanks

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have any pattern presses? Make some "C" and "S" type curves.
If you go w/marking them off then maybe put a simple piped cross on one; a a crown on another; maybe a flower on others.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 8

what about some spirals around the sides and a big I HEART SUMMER on top of each

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 8

I am no expert. Just starting to learn cake decorating. I have seen a picture of a sheet cake in wilton's course book. (I think it is in course 1)

They've combed the whole sheet with zig zag kind of thing (you can do it with an icing comb)
and had rosebuds on each piece of the cake. (Divide and make it)

Honestly, I am not very good at making rosebuds on a buttercream iced cake. (It is easy with royal icing on a wax paper). You can use something like that and make a rectangle or a square in the center and put some message or cross with bunch of other flowers. (If you have some royal icing flowers that are left over from other cake projects, here you can use them)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 8

what about different summery type things on each portion...... a sun, a pair of shades, flip flops, seashell, beach ball, shovel and pail???

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:53am
post #6 of 8

KHalstead... those are great ideas.. and more along the lines of what i was thinking. sun, sunglasses, beach ball, those should be pretty easy to do... i think i can figure out flipflops, and the shovel and pail

THANKS.. i'll let you know how it goes. I didn't want to do anything real elaborate (mainly b/c i don't have a lot of time to do it) but i didn't want to just bring plain old flat iced sheet cakes.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 8

I totally know the feeling!!!! Because in the back of your head you're like.........well, it's a donation........but........there are a lot of people that will see it!! You should see the cakes that I bring to my kids' school for spaghetti suppers and stuff LOL people are always like..just bring a PLAIN cake...and then people that REALLY know me are like "yeah right" it'll be decorated!! lol

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 8

That is a good idea.....if I'm not mistaking, Michael's sells a candy mold tray that has all of those summer themed thing on it. I'd do candy melts and just place them all over the cake....may write "Its Summer Time" in the middle and arrange candy melts around it....just a thought. Please post the pictures, I'd love to see what you can up with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%